Thursday 16 August 2012

EXCERPT - ARISE BY AMBER GARR






Excerpt 2
Kain
I finished packing up the duffle bag full of knifes, hand grenades, and a couple of Japanese short swords.  It was Julian’s weapon of choice, but I preferred to stick with my natural abilities.  I’d been practicing my compulsion and my water control seemed to improve every day.  It was like a switch had been turned on and I suddenly knew exactly how to manipulate the element with very little effort.  The compulsion I would save for a few choice selkies if needed.
As if listening to my internal thoughts, Brendan appeared on the beachside deck and knocked on the door frame.  Neither of us acknowledged his presence, so he walked inside and sat down next to Daniel.
“I need to talk to Marisol,” Daniel said and quickly jumped out of his chair then disappeared around the corner.  I would thank him for that later.
“Do you need any help?” Brendan asked.
“Nope.”
After a full minute of silence, he spoke again.  “Abhainn will find her, right?”
I stopped filling the snack bag I was working on and took a deep breath.  Do I respond or do I stay silent?  I decided to listen to my heart.  “Do you really care?”
As though I stabbed a sword through him too, Brendan recoiled in shock.  “Of course I care!  I love her more than anything in this world!”
“If you truly did love her, you would have left a long time ago.”  My voice wavered with anger and a thousand other emotions.  Apparently we were going to have this discussion and I wasn’t fully prepared to filter my words.
Brendan jumped to his feet and leaned across the table toward me.  “You would have loved that, wouldn’t you?  Having her to yourself.  Going through with a marriage she never wanted.  It would have been perfect for you if I would have stayed in Washington, right?”
“Yes,” I said through gritted teeth.  “She would have had a chance to choose me.”
“She always had that chance.  I never stopped her.”  He moved around the edge of the table so that we were looking at each other eye to eye.  I could see the lines around his face and the grey tone of his skin.  He looked like hell and I smiled.  “What’s so funny?” he snapped.
Ignoring his question, I stared into his eyes.  “She doesn’t want you now.”
He sucked in air then turned away from me.  “But I need to help her.”
“No, you don’t.  We have this under control.”


Buy Links



Barnes and Noble - Not posted yet. 



No comments:

Post a Comment