Monday 6 August 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JULIE REECE





About Julie

Born in Ohio, I lived next to my grandfather’s horse farm until the fourth grade. Summers were about riding, fishing and make-believe, while winter brought sledding and ice-skating on frozen ponds. Most of life was magical, but not all.

I struggled with multiple learning disabilities, did not excel in school. I spent much of my time looking out windows and daydreaming. In the fourth grade (with the help of one very nice teacher) I fought dyslexia for my right to read, like a prince fights a dragon in order to free the princess locked in a tower, and I won.

Afterwards, I read like a fiend. I invented stories where I could be the princess... or a gifted heroine from another world who kicked bad guy butt to win the heart of a charismatic hero. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that? Later, I moved to Florida where I continued to fantasize about superpowers and monsters, fabricating stories (my mother called it lying) and sharing them with my friends.

Then I thought I’d write one down…

Hooked, I’ve been writing ever since. I write historical, contemporary, urban fantasy, adventure, and young adult romances. I love strong heroines, sweeping tales of mystery and epic adventure… which must include a really hot guy. My writing is proof you can work hard to overcome any obstacle. Don’t give up. I say, if you write, write on!


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? 
My name is Julie Reece. I was born in the farmlands of Ohio, moved to Clearwater Florida as a teen and did the beach thing before going away to school in Tennessee. I met my husband there. We now live in the Metro Atlanta area. Yeah, there is a little twang in my voice now.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"? 
That’s a very good question. The fact I’m about to be published isn’t real to me yet. I still think of myself as a dreamer, hopeful wannabe. Despite that, I suppose the stories have been inside me since I was a little girl. Maybe writers are that way from the start.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work? 
You betcha. I’d like to be a full time writer, but those stinkin’ bills get in my way. I work at a law firm, 8:00 to 5:30. I know compared to the heroines I write, it sounds pretty dangerous, huh?  Sometimes I break a nail.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish? 
Crux’s publisher is J Taylor Publishing, and they totally rock. Hey, they took a chance on this untried author, ‘nough said.



Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? 
I have LOTS of plans! LOL There is one novel in edits (my edits, not a publisher’s yet) right now, a historical YA paranormal I’m really excited about. The heroine is tough and in serious trouble in an alternate, ancient Europe, the hero is beautiful and tortured. *sigh* In addition, I am currently writing two novels. That’s new for me as I usually write one thing at a time. I imagine there are writer’s out there who do that on a regular basis, excuse me while I get on the floor and bow to them,because it’s hard to do! I just happened to have two ideas chewing holes in my brain at the same time. Crux was written as a single title. I’ve thought about continuing it but don’t know if I will. I guess I’ll wait and see if readers like it enough to want more. 


What genre would you place your books into? 
YA urban fantasy and historical paranormal romance. I haven’t tried a contemporary yet.

 What made you decide to write that genre of book? 
My imagination has a strong bent to the, well, bizarre actually. Who puts a homeless girl, werewolf, monks and Viking ghosts in the same room? *raises hand in timid fashion* I’m trying to write the book you haven’t seen before. There are some amazing YA writer’s out there right now and you have to go pretty far outside the beaten trail to do something different. Fantasy allows that. The cool thing about romantic fantasy readers is, if you make them believe, they are more than happy to go with you, no matter how crazy your premise seems. I love YA readers to pieces.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books? 
My book was out July 9th. I haven’t tested this out yet, and I honestly don’t know what I’ll do. Some published friends say don’t read them, others say you won’t be able to help it. I think the latter may be true. Of course, every writer want’s their work to be appreciated. No doubt! I know that no one writer will be able to please every reader, that’s not possible. I hope most people will like my story. I have my fingers, toes, legs, arms and eyes crossed that happens!
(Aha! I remembered your book release date as it was the day after my birthday!)

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books? 
No way. People are entitled to their opinions. I wouldn’t want to be told what to think. Of course, along with the mostly great, constructive feedback from readers, I’ve seen some vicious reviews and that makes me sad for the writer. I’m not saying if I got a horrible review it wouldn’t sting, (or that I wouldn’t curl up in a ball and weep for days) but I  know that comes with the territory. I guess I better get my rhino hide on, because I definitely believe readers have the right to say what they truly feel, even when that hurts.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish? 
Yes. I have tried to read Last of the Mohicans by  James Fenimore Cooper a literal half dozen times. I simply cannot do it. I have no idea why. I know he’s brilliant and I love the premise of the story. Every time I’ve tried to read this sucker, I flat out fall asleep. Two years ago I read I Claudius, so you’d think I could handle this one. Guess not.  So sorry James.

What do you think about book trailers? 
I think they are a lot of fun. Some I’ve seen are pretty cheesy, though. I have no idea how productive the things are for actually selling books, but I love movies, and movies of books, well, and movie trailers so I guess it follows I would enjoy book trailers. Since they are relatively new. I hope they quality improves but I s’pose that could get pricey.  I’ve seen a few bloggers on the web who do nothing but collect and rate book trailers and I’ve enjoyed their efforts! Many of their reviews are hilarious. I hope they get a hold of mine. Would you like to see it? Even if the urge strikes you, try not to throw cheese, I like my trailer!  http://blog.juliereece.com/2012/04/23/crux-book-trailer-is-here/ 

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with? 
First I’d cook a big Italian dinner from scratch to soften them up.  Then I’d invite J.R.R. Tolkien, and  C.S. Lewis to sit down across from one another to find out why their deep friendship had such a terrible falling out.  Next I’d invite Jane Austen to play mediator and round things out because she was wise. Hopefully the evening would end with all of us, wine in hand, signing some bad karaoke and crying from happiness.
Can I just say thank you so much for having me here today? I had a ball! 

Where can readers follow you?

Your Blog details? http://blog.juliereece.com/ 
Your Web site? http://juliereece.com/ 
Your Facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/author.julieareece 
Your Goodreads Author page? http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13265572-crux 
Your Twitter details? https://twitter.com/#!/julieareece 
And any other information you wish to supply? http://www.jtaylorpublishing.com/books/13






1 comment:

  1. Hi everybody!

    I wanted to thank Jeanz for having me on her beautiful blog today. :) I'm so appreciative for all the nice things she said about my story, and if you get the chance to read Crux, I really hope you'll enjoy it :)

    Thanks again!

    XOXOXOXO

    Julie

    ReplyDelete