Wednesday 10 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW COLLETTE SCOTT

Collette wrote Forever Sunshine and Hannah's Blessing.






What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

My name is Collette Scott. I was born in a small town in Indiana, USA, grew up in Massachusetts, and moved across the country in 1999. I currently live in the desert of Phoenix, Arizona with my husband, three children and family pets.
What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
I have two recently released books. Forever Sunshine is a story of healing after loss. It is a very poignant story of one woman’s journey through love and tragedy. Hannah’s Blessing, on the other hand, is a happy contemporary romance. It’s about a very wealthy man sweeping a single mother off her feet, despite her mistrust of the ‘dream come true’.  
Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Yes, I have two more rough drafts completed and have started a third. Wow, I’ve been busy. While not a direct series, these three have members of the Evans family from Forever Sunshine. One is about a returning Afghan veteran who is wrongly accused of murder and the woman who saves him. The next is about a woman who is reunited with her childhood friend, now an FBI agent, ten years following a near fatal gang attack that sent her hiding in the mountains of Colorado. Zach finds her when that same gang targets her yet again, believing she has access to stolen drugs. I think you can see a trend here. Every one of my books has a message of hope and the ability to heal when one has the support of caring people in their lives. While both focus on the power of love and healing, these will have a twist of suspense as well.
How long have you been writing, and who or what inspired you to write?
Oh gosh, I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I wrote my first book at the age of eight and have been writing novels ever since. I believe I inherited the writing gene from my maternal grandfather. He was a poet, and one of the items he brought when he immigrated to America from Ireland was a collection of Irish poems. I still have those books and treasure them.
How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?
Forever Sunshine was named thus because Brandon’s pet-name for Cher was Sunshine, and the forever indicates their love for one another. Hannah’s Blessing, on the other hand, has dual meanings. One is for the twist of fate when Hannah’s accident brought Diana and Devlan together, and the other is for the speed with which Hannah is able to overcome her injury.
So far I have designed my own covers with photographs. As a matter of fact, one of my children appears on the cover of Hannah’s Blessing. She is running down a beach in Hawaii, and she fit the character of Hannah very well. That cover is my favorite so far because it indirectly sends the message of healing too. After all, Hannah has a long road ahead of her, and she is determined to succeed! I also have an artist friend who is working on the cover for my Colorado book. This one will be a painting, so I’m very excited to see that when it’s done.
Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
No, not directly. I have written about things that I am familiar with, but all of my characters appear in my head. Usually they come to me via dreams, but they are very real to me. They have their own personalities, faults, fears and goals, just like my friends and family.
Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
Again, I would have to say no. I have read many different authors, and they all have their own voice and style. Growing up, one of my favorite authors was Stephen King. He was a little wordy, but he has such a skill for weaving stories with plot, setting, word choice, foreshadowing, etc. He’s a master at what he does. I ended up becoming an English major with a concentration in literature, so I read many oldies but goodies throughout my college days. Some of the oldest stories are the best, in my opinion J.
Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
I still prefer to hold a book in my hands, but I have to admit that the convenience of e-reading is really putting up some competition. I still do all methods, but hardcover is my favorite.





What is your favourite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?


Ooh, that’s a tough one. I have many favorites. The funny thing is that two of mine are from the Bronte sisters! Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre are both very high on my list. I loved their courage in portraying characters that were not only Gothic, but flawed, human, and in Jane’s case, feminist! I first read both when I was a teenage and have read them several times since. To me, any book that can leave you with an emotional impact is a good story, and these sisters definitely did that for me.  




Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite book to movie transfer?

I am not a huge fan of books to movies. I feel as though many times the flavor of the story is overlooked or not captured well. I will say that I think the Lord of the Rings trilogy was very skillfully done by Peter Jackson.
What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
Since I just published Hannah’s Blessing, I am trying to pick up my reading list again. I recently started the hardcover book The Devil Colony by James Rollins. I haven’t gotten very far into it yet.
Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
This one is sad for me to admit because I usually finish every book I open, even if I don’t like it. However, I just could not make it through a book by Amy Tan. I couldn’t believe it because she is one of my favorite authors, but for some reason this one was just not capturing me. For the record, The Bonesetter’s Daughter is one of my favorites from her.
Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and why?
When I am faced with this question, I smile sadly J. While I would have loved to change the ending of Forever Sunshine, I just couldn’t. It ended exactly as it needed to. You will see what I mean when you finish it!
What do you think about book trailers?
I am new to book trailers myself. Patti Roberts of the Paradox series made one for me for Forever Sunshine. You can view that on my blog. It’s a very beautiful and sweet-sounding summary of my book, and I hope to keep doing those in the future. Hannah’s Blessing will be next.
What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Write, read and edit! Writing is a skill, a talent, and most of all, a gift. Once you are able to get the words out, go back and read, adjust, edit and polish.  If you have a story in your head, put it down on paper. You never know what can happen.
Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
Yes, I do use a pen name. I do that primarily to keep my work and family separate. It much easier J.
Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details? http://collettescott.blogspot.com/
Your Twitter details? http://twitter.com/#!/ColletteScott  

And any other information you wish to supply?
Forever Sunshine is currently available at all major retailers online (eg. Amazon) in print and as an ebook. Hannah’s Blessing has just been released on Amazon and Smashwords and is still in process with distribution. You can check my website for free PDF samples and links for where to buy.

Thank you for taking the time to take part in this Author Interview and allowing us a glimpse into your world of writing

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me on your blog. I had such a nice time!

    Collette
    http://collettescott.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete