Saturday 3 October 2015

PROMOTION - LOST - THE CAELIAN CYCLE BY DONNIELLE TYNER

Title: Lost
Series: The Caelian Cycle
Author: Donnielle Tyner
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Dystopian
Release Date: 19th June 2015

BLURB from Goodreads
During WW1, a meteorite crashed, releasing a mist that changed the DNA of all who were exposed. One hundred years has passed and society is divided between the Norms and the Caelians, whose changed DNA awakened dormant gifts, called Talents. 

Sadie is over it! 

She’s an orphan, her boyfriend was murdered, and she’s the only Caelian at St. Vincent’s without a Talent. Once she turns 18, there will be no place for her in the world. That is, until a chance encounter with Kian, a Caelian boy who makes her feel uncomfortable and alive at the same time. 

Secrets of her past are uncovered and Sadie’s latent, rare Talent is exposed. With great power comes the hunters, hired by an egomaniac who wants to use Sadie’s power to establish Caelian dominance. On the run with Kian and her friends, Sadie will have to decide: hide or fight. 

Will Sadie accept her new reality or will she stay lost?


PURCHASE LINKS

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

What genre would you place your book Lost into? And what made you decide to write that genre?
The genre I place Lost in would be Young Adult Science Fiction, although some would label it in paranormal because the science fiction is soft compared to other books in the genre. I didn’t set out to write a science fiction, but it seems that nearly ALL my ideas are founded in that genre, so I roll with it. 

Who/What/How did you get your ideas for your book Lost?
My mind is a random place to live in and like every book idea I have ever had, it came to me suddenly and usually while driving. I was driving the kids somewhere and my son started talking about super powers and how he would go back in time to save the dinosaurs. It got me thinking about meteorites. I asked myself a question: What if there was a meteorite out there with some kind of alien DNA that crashed to earth, changing those around them into a new class of human? BAM! Lost was born. 

Did you have to any of research for your book Lost? If so what/how did you do it?
I’ve done a little research about WW1. Most of my research went into Roman mythology and the grief process. A lot of the research was done through google, but I sat down with a grief counselor while writing the first half of the book.

Do you have the whole series planned out now or is Lost a standalone book or is it still a work in progress? Do you know how many books there will be in this series?
Lost will be a series and I have a general idea on how I want the rest of the books to go, but only have the second book outlined. There will be four books total in The Caelian Cycle.

How long did it take you to write Lost?
It took me four months to write Lost and two to edit.

If you had to choose to be a character from Lost, which would you be and why?

I would be Madison. She is the personification of who I wanted to be as a teenager: strong, competent, levelheaded, but fearless. Madison’s strength comes from within her instead from external sources. She is happy with who she is and is confident in every choice she makes. 

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for Lost? Who designed the Cover? (I really do love this cover, the beautifully striking eyes really draw you in ~Jeanz)
I had the hardest time coming up with the Title for Lost and as I was writing the last two chapters, I began to stress about it. One afternoon, I was venting to my husband and he said told me to quit trying to be clever and to just think about the way Sadie feels. Lost instantly popped into my mind. The rest of the books will be named in the same manner.

Kari from Cover to Cover designs is who came up with the design for Lost. My only input was that I wanted a meteorite somewhere, what color the title will be, and that Sadie needed to look right. Sadie is a Caelian and as such, she stands out from the norms because genetically Caelians have different coloring. Kari had to take a character that is supposed to have white hair, unnatural blue eyes and pale golden skin and make her look natural. I feel she did it. 


Are the character names and place names decided after creation? or do you pick a character/place name and then invent their personality/traits?
All the character names were originally planned at creation, except Sadie and Kian. With Kian, I had a hard time finding a name that fit him, for a few chapters he was just BOY until I heard the name Kian and fell in love with it. Sadie had a different name originally, but I changed it halfway through when a friend’s baby passed away. I wanted to honor the child who touched my heart, so with permission from the mother, I changed my heroines name to Sadie. I had always intended for her to be a strong heroine, but now I take extra precaution to make sure that book Sadie will honor little Sadie’s memory in every way. John and Link, were not originally planned, but came to me while I was writing.

If Lost was to be made into a Movie or TV Show would you want to keep total control over it or would you allow someone else to adapt it?
I’m not sure if I would want total control. Who has time for that? However, I would love to have input over the adaptation since Sadie is a character close to my heart.

Still on the subject of Lost being made into a Movie or TV Show do you have in mind which actors/actresses you would want to play the main characters in Lost?
I haven’t given it much thought, but after some googling. I imagine Anna Sophia Robb as Sadie and Logan Lerman as Kian.

No comments:

Post a Comment