Saturday 27 July 2013

PROMOTIONAL SPOTLIGHT & AUTHOR INTERVIEW - BURN IT BY JENNIFER CIE

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Hi Jeanz, and, amazing followers of Jeanz’s Book Read ‘N Review. My name is Jennifer Cie and I am an aspiring author from Memphis, Tennessee, currently living in Philadelphia, PA.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I actually did not always want to be a writer. That dream came after I found out I was tone death, some time in-between my resolve to become a poet and love affair with the idea of being a rich stranger travelling the world. Maybe one day, all the ends will meet.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
Burn It is the name of my latest book, which will be officially released on July 29th. If I had to describe it in less than 20 words I’d say it’s the kiss of an honest heartbreak from start to finish. 


BURN IT
by
Jennifer Cie



BLURB from Goodreads
With the rest of her life ahead of her, Jennifer Cie is taking a step back. As she reflects on what was once next, Jennifer dives into the past, finding mortality in no longer remembering how magical the world felt as a child, apologizing for the moment she realized she could not be her Prince Charming’s Cinderella, and lamenting the idea that in death people forget “there doesn’t have to be a dead body in the room”. A collection of “what I wish someone would've told me” narratives exploring youth, love, and death, the reader is taken on a riveting ride through Jennifer Cie's past as she accepts the present.


Who is your publisher? Or do you self publish?
There no publishing house. I’m actually self-publishing Burn It through Amazon’s Kindle Direct Program and Create Space.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
It takes me a ridiculously long time to finish writing a book. I always get new ideas for another piece and forget what I was working on. However, I will say it only took a little over a year to completely finish Burn It.

Which of your books was the hardest to write?
Writing Burn It was a lot harder than writing my first book, Memphis Rain. The difference in content and style definitely brought out more of my emotions while writing. Since, Burn It was made to be a creative non-fiction memoir of standalone pieces it was a lot harder to fall in love with than Memphis Rain, is was fiction.

What can we expect from you in the future?
Fiction is definitely in the immediate future of my writing. I’ve had some great ideas keeping me up at night that I’m working on right now. I would definitely say, that genre will be the focus of the next couple books I hope to put on paper.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
All I can say about it right now, since I change story directions at least 4 or 5 times when I’m writing a book is that this piece I’m working on is historical fiction and it could very well be a series. That’s all though. I don’t make any promises.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing?
Writing Routine? You know, if I’m being honest I have a really lame routine. I like to go to coffee shops, some local and of course the jolly green straw giant and just type. Sometimes it’s all gibberish about the people I end up watching, but most days I get really good chapters out of going to coffee shops. I think being around the clashing aromas, and “I have a tall this and that, low fat, with extra whip” shouts puts me at ease.  

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?
I definitely have a few choice friends I send all my work to. They’re always honest, even when it visible hurts me. They’re part of the reason it takes me so long to finish books. I always trying to get the best version of my work out there and, they let me know when I have more work to do.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
Believe it or not , the review for my first book all came verbally or by email. There were none of Amazon. So, in a way that was a tough review. It made me feel like my book wasn’t good enough to even be commented on. Luckily, I got enough high-fives to make me realize I never really promoted Memphis Rain, but I think the worst review a book can receive is none at all.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
I think my experiences with my own friends have made that a non-option. Why would I ask someone to change their opinion? You’re words are your truth, if you don’t like, or even hate, my book that’s your truth. I wish it wasn’t, but I’d never disrespect someone for being vulnerable enough to share their truth.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
I personally, really cling to working titles. I have to be able to call my book something. In the end that is normally not what I choose for the finished piece, but it’s really hard for me to work without a title.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I normally know how I want the book to end. Everything else tends to just happen freely. I think knowing the end allows me to think of all the possible ways I could make the book better.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
What makes a book a bestseller? I honestly have no clue, if I did, I would definitely have made a couple bestsellers list by know, and kept the secret to myself so I could be a celebrity in the writing world. No. I’m kidding. I think it all starts with believing in a story. It just a matter of finding an audience that believes in your story too.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I personally prefer paperback books. Something about being able to hold the pages in my hand and smell the paper makes me want to do my happy dance.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
There is a distinct possibility ebooks could take over, but I don’t think they will. At least, not, in immediate future. Technology is still that flakey date that forgot you said 7:30 instead of show up whenever. You know what I mean? When you need it most you can’t catch a signal, but that random Monday you could care less your wi-fi is streaming Netflix movies like your life depends on it.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? Or do Imaginative writing?
I think what is being taught in school today is all relative to the area. I can’t really generalize what’s going on globally but I do think imagination is suffering in schools. Any time cutting the arts in a schools budget seems like a logical move, creativity is bound to suffer. However, I think kids today are so special, in that there’s a push to educate them as individuals. So, there’s hope.

Do you have a treasured book from your childhood?
Oh yeah! The House That Had Enough, was huge deal for me growing up. I mean my mum still reads that book to me and my siblings. I don’t know if it’s my childhood book, I honestly don’t remember, but it’s a huge deal at my house.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Don’t be afraid of failure. If people don’t like your book that’s alright. Writing , to me, is about already being the best’ it’s about working to become your best.

Where can readers find you?

You can find me on my blog journeytopaperback.blogspot.com, and, if I ever get over the fact I’m not interesting at all my yet to be created twitter page. Thank you guys so much for having me.

          Don’t forget to check out Burn It on July 29th!

No comments:

Post a Comment