Tuesday 2 July 2013

DEAD GIRLS ARE EASY - NICKI STYX BK#1 BY TERRI GAREY

ISBN: 9780061136153
ASIN: B004HILPFA
Series: Nicki Styx
Publisher: Avon Books
Pages: 372
Formats Available: Paperback, E-Book

BLURB from Goodreads
There's something about almost dying that makes a girl rethink her priorities. Take Nicki Styx--she was strictly goth and vintage, until a brush with the afterlife leaves her with the ability to see dead people.

Before you can say boo, Atlanta's ghosts are knocking at Nicki's door. Now her days consist of reluctantly cleaning up messes left by the dearly departed, leading ghouls to the Light . . . and one-on-one anatomy lessons with Dr. Joe Bascombe, the dreamy surgeon who saved her life. All this catering to the deceased is a real drag, especially for a girl who'd rather be playing hanky-panky with her hunky new boyfriend . . . who's beginning to think she's totally nuts.

But things get even more complicated when a friend foolishly sells her soul to the devil, and Nicki's new gift lands her in some deep voodoo.


As it turns out for Nicki Styx, death was just the beginning.


MY REVIEW
I bought this one from Amazon.co.uk. After reading an e-book that had a short tale in it by Terry Garey, I decided to purchase and read one of her full length books. I decided to have "some time off" for Easter and just randomly pick a book I wanted to read for me. As in I wasn't reading it for a book tour or as a review for a post, I was reading it because I wanted to, from a purely for pleasure angle. Obviously I couldn't not review it for my blog lol.
The cover of this one gives it a chick-lit feel, that would make me compare this books to the Charlaine Harris ones, and perhaps, Dakota Cassidy and Mary Janice Davidson. Prior to purchasing the book I had't sort of put the book into that category at all.
The blurb, is also giving you a "lighter feel book" vibe too. The blurb tells us that after an accident Nicki can see and communicate with dead people. Though this is put across in the blurb in a fun, light way, the book also has a dark side element when one of the ghosts draws Nicki into voodoo. The only way to put the soul to rest is to trust people who . . well who Nicki would never normally associate with. I mean who want s to get mixed up with voodoo? Well Nicki ends up kind of making a friend in Granny Julep a voodoo priestess, but Granny Julep's time in this world is near it's end can she help Nicki put the restless soul back to rest and bring the poor souls killer to justice at the same time. Or will Granny Julep end her days not knowing whether the restless soul, her granddaughter, is finally at rest or not.
Nicki has a lot going on in her life. She owns a vintage shop with her gay best friend Evan, and she gets herself tangled up with the Doctor who saved her life. The rather gorgeous Doctor is fascinated in Nicki and her near death experience, and her new "talent" of speaking to the dead. Nicki has to learn her new role in life and the fact that her life will nether ever be the same or quite fully just her own anymore. Nicki and Doctor Joe are also dancing around the prospect of a relationship, there's loads of problems of course, both dead and undead!
For one thing Doctor Joe is still married . . . . yep and he's chasing after Nicki. His "wife" is off on a crusade with the peace corps, and she just happens to look a heck of a lot like Nicki. So much so that the good Doctor thinks that his hopefully soon to be ex and his hopefully soon to be current partner are sisters? Separated at birth and whilst Nicki was adopted, her sister lived in, and moved from children's home to children's home.
I love Nicki's wacky character. She gives the impression of being one tough cookie and to a point she is until someone threatens though she loves and then she gets upset. There's so much going on in the book, so many directions the plot is going, there's the sister issue, the married doctor, the voodoo, the other undead friends, the business etc etc. I aso love the references the Doctor makes to Nicki about her name and saying the fact she came back to life was as she didn't have the fare for the ferryman. etc . The whole name thing had gone over my head. I have since looked up the name Styx and learnt a little about the Greek mythology. I admit to hearing the saying of paying the ferryman to carry you over to "the other side". So I not only really enjoyed the book I actually learnt something too!
So there's plenty of action, drama and angst going on in this book for everyone!
So did I enjoy the book? Yes I really enjoyed the lighter feel and different pace, as well as the great storyline. Would I recommend? Yes, especially for fans of Dakota Cassidy, Michelle Bardsley, Mary Janice Davidson and Charlaine Harris. Will I be reading Bk#2? Yes please! I am already looking for an e-copy of Bk#2 now! Would I read more by Terry Garey? As I have read the short tale and then one of her Nicki Styx books I have sampled her work but yes I'd certainly try other books be her.

Purchase Links

No comments:

Post a Comment