Wednesday 24 July 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - KIRSTEN WEISS

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Kirsten Weiss, I was born in California and I live in sunny San Mateo, California.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I started reading Nancy Drew mysteries at a young age, and badly wanted to be a girl detective. It didn’t take long for me to realize that wasn’t a valid career choice, so I decided I’d become a mystery writer instead.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest book is book four in the Riga Hayworth series, The Infernal Detective. It’s about a metaphysical detective who’s trying to get married, but murder, magic, and mad relatives get in the way.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I’m published by misterio press. I love them, but I wish they’d capitalize the name because everyone thinks it’s a typo.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I’m sticking to the paranormal mystery genre because I find the dual mystery of the paranormal and whodunnit exciting. And the research is a kick. But I’m starting a new series featuring a security consultant named Rocky Bridges, and this year I’m also going to publish book five in the Riga Hayworth series.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
My latest book, The Infernal Detective, is my favourite. My writing is improving and developing with each book, and though I love them all, book four really is the best when it comes to plot and prose.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
I try to come up with character names that say something about the character’s personality, because I think it makes it easier on the reader and because I’ve noticed a lot of people seem to grow into their names. But sometimes the right name doesn’t come along when I first set pen to paper, and I end up changing a name mid-way through the writing – usually because I have a better feel for the character at that point.

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
To relax, I read! Which is sort of business-oriented as well because as a writer, you learn so much from reading. But because I need to get out of my chair and get some exercise, I also practice hapkido, a Korean martial art. It comes in handy for my writing as well, especially when I’m working out a fight scene.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy – it was fantastic, one of those books that kept me up late reading.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
My writing has grown a lot, so at some point I need to come out with another edition of the first book in the Riga Hayworth series, The Metaphysical Detective. But I’m so busy writing the next books, that I don’t have the energy to tackle it.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Surround yourself with professional writers, know that you’re writing can always get better and be open to learning, and keep writing!

Where can readers follow you?
Amazon
Twitter: @RigaHayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment