Saturday 13 July 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - L. G. PACE III

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Lester G. Pace III , or L.G. Pace III. I was born in Orange County California. I moved from there when I was just shy of my 3rd birthday to Iowa. I moved this year from Iowa to Texas.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I remember when I was young wanting to be an astronaut, or a cowboy.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I think after I got my first review. Someone I did not know had read my book and loved it. It was then that it struck me that I had actually become a writer.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
Not in the way one would expect. It took longer to figure out what I wanted the book to be. Then there was editing, rewriting, formatting, cover art. It takes so much more time and energy than I ever would have suspected.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
The Lost One.  The story of a young man coming to terms with who and what he is in a world that has become far stranger than he could ever have imagined.

Who is your publisher? or do you self-publish?
I am self-published.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
From beginning end my first book took a few years. Part of that was working out my process for taking it from my imagination to the page. My work in progress is moving a lot faster because of what I had learned along the way.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
The Lost One is the first in the Sahae series. I am currently working on the second book in the series.

What genre would you place your books into?
Fiction/Fantasy/Mythology

Do you have a favorite character from your books? and why are they your favorite?
I love the villain Eishao. He is so delightfully broken and frightening. I also have a soft spot for the smart mouth, Matt.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from? What/Who is your inspiration?
A lot of what I wrote came from making the characters and then just trying to figure out how they would react to what was going on. I take character inspiration from people out of my past, historical characters and sometimes even strangers.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I would say my writing is very chaotic. I write ideas down and then get them down on paper in creative spurts. The closest thing I had to a routine was when I was finishing up the book. I had a brief love affair with Starbucks where I spent a lot of time writing the final parts of the book.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
I think that if you are asking someone to write a review it is only fair to give them a copy of the book to read.  

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
I have read all the ones I have had so far. As they increase in number it will likely get harder to do so.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
I have yet to have a truly tough review.  The best review I had was the first one I read from a stranger who read my book and told me how much they loved it and could not wait for the sequel.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
No, if I ask for a review I just want an honest review. If someone did not like my book, then they did not like my book. You cannot please everyone.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
I had a working title however during the course of the story it changed from what it originally was and that title no longer fit.  So the title became something that better reflected the book. I have to give credit for my cover to a great cover artist from Indie Book Covers - Michelle Warren. http://www.facebook.com/IndieBookCovers. I gave her what I wanted and she was able to create an incredible cover from multiple stock photo art.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
Seaverville is an amalgamation of a few different places. During its creation I took a page from how they actually named towns back then. The people are the same kind of thing. Some of them, like Eishao, just sprang out of my imagination.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
I like to make a complete character, or as close as possible and then start writing. I find it helps if I know a character well enough that I can have them react to a situation in the story without having to give it a lot of extra thought.

How do you market/promote your books?
Marketing is difficult in the self-published world. I have used social media for a good portion of it.  

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
I don’t think it is necessarily hidden, but if I had to point to one? Heroes are inside of each and every one of us.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?
It depends on the screenplay writer. Most Stephen King books do no transfer however this is my best and worst. The worst would be Salem’s Lot. The best would be The Green Mile.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I just finished an indie book “What Would Satan Do?” by Anthony Miller. It was in ebook format and I actually read it on my phone. It was a great story.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
I think that books, like music, will always exist but how we enjoy them will change.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
I’ve been a voracious reader since I was very young. Writing is something that I have done in one form or another my entire life. It was only recently that I thought someone might actually like to read anything.

What do you think about book trailers?
I have seen a few of them and I think they reflect a level of passion from readers that is humbling for an author.

If you could invite three favorite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Stephen King, Charlene Harris and Issac Asimov. Now that would be one heck of a dinner party.

Where can readers follow you?

Your Facebook Page? 
https://www.facebook.com/LGPaceIII
Your Goodreads Author Page? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6982344.L_G_Pace_III
Your Twitter Details? 
Pacewrite

Purchase Link

No comments:

Post a Comment