Friday 22 March 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - SOPHIE DAVIS

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Sophie Davis.  I was born in Baltimore, Maryland and I live in Washington, D.C. now.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I have always loved to write, but hadn’t really considered trying to publish anything until about three years ago.  When I was younger, I really wanted to be a videographer, then a doctor, crime scene investigator, a lawyer, and probably a thousand other things over the years!

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I do.  During the day I work as a patent examiner where I make decisions on whether or not an invention is patentable.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I self-publish!

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
The first book in my Talented series took me about four years from the time I first came up with the idea to the date I self-published.  The subsequent books in the series have taken about a year to eighteen months from when I started writing to when I published.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
Definitely more books!  My second series, See You In My Nightmares, is also teen paranormal romance.  I have also been working on my first adult book, a chick-lit/humor story that I hope to publish later this year!  And, of course, I have a couple other ideas up my sleeve, but nothing too concrete yet!

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Talia, from my Talented series is probably my favorite.  She is my first main character and, so far, I have spent the most time writing and developing her.  She will probably always have a special place in my heart.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I have been writing for as long as I can remember.  When I was younger it was mostly poetry, but as I got older the ideas developed into more of novels.  I am a big runner, and started making up stories to pass the time while I was on long runs.  My senior English teacher, Mrs. Mauer, is the one who really convinced me to start writing down more and more of my ideas.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I do!  I sit at my large desktop with a mug of coffee and a glass of water and listen to music from a playlist that I create for each series.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
I certainly do.  I have a group of friends who read my books in various stages of the process and offer constructive feedback on everything from word choice to major plot issues.  For the soon-to-be-released series I used beta readers as well!

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Of course!

Are character names and place names decided after there creation? or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
Usually the general idea comes first, then I come up with names for the main characters that feel right.  Most of the places in the books are inspired by places that I have lived or traveled to frequently.  The  minor characters in the book usually go through a number of name changes before the final based on feedback from others.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
Usually as I go along.  Some characters are completely developed before the first draft, but they usually change at least a little by the final one.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I always have a basic plot before I start writing.  I rarely have the same plot at the end of the book as I did at the start.  Some books have undergone major plot revisions from start to finish.  Not even all the original characters always make the final cut!

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Some of the scenes in my books have been inspired by things that have actually happened to me, or sort of happened to me since I write a lot of paranormal.  In general, I see something or read something in the news that sparks my interest and run with an idea off it.  I have an overactive imagination, so I can be walking down the street and see something strange and all of a sudden I have an idea for a book.  Some end up going nowhere, others end up as a complete manuscript.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I prefer paperbacks, but I mostly read ebooks these days.  I also listen to a lot of books on my Ipod.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
My favorite book of all time is hard.  The Parable of the Sower is definitely top among them, though.  Just about every book I own in paperback I have read more than once.  I also have a small library of Mary Higgins Clark, Stephen King, and Dean Koontz that I read over and over again. 
(Wow I just checked out Parable of sower and its gone right onto my want to read list now! thank-you for the recommendation!)

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
Right now I am reading When She Woke.  Loving it so far!
 

 Do you have a favourite genre of book?
I am a sucker for a good mystery/thriller. Even the not so good ones!

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
Anna Karenina.  My book club read it and I watched the movie!  I just couldn’t get into the book.

Your Blog Details?  http://www.sophiedavisbooks.com/blog/

Your Web Site?  http://www.sophiedavisbooks.com
Your Facebook Page?  https://www.facebook.com/SophieDavisAuthor
Your Goodreads Author Page?  http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5753331.Sophie_Davis
Your Twitter details?  @sophiedavisbook


No comments:

Post a Comment