Monday 11 March 2013

ANNABEL BY LAUREN OLIVER


ISBN: 9780062237385
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 50 
Formats Available: E-book

Blurb from Goodreads
Lena's mother, Annabel, has always been a mystery—a ghost in Lena's past. Until now.

Discover her secrets in Lauren Oliver's brilliant original digital story set in the world of New York Times bestsellers Delirium and Pandemonium.

Lena Halloway's mother, Annabel, supposedly committed suicide when Lena was only six years old. That's the lie that Lena grew up believing, but the truth is very different. As a rebellious teenager, Annabel ran away from home and straight into the man she knew she was destined to marry. The world was different then—the regulations not as stringent, the cure only a decade old. Fast forward to the present, and Annabel is consigned to a dirty prison cell, where she nurtures her hope of escape and scratches one word over and over into the walls: Love.

But Annabel, like Lena, is a fighter. Through chapters that alternate between her past and present, Annabel reveals the story behind her failed cures, her marriage, the births of her children, her imprisonment, and, ultimately, her daring escape.


MY REVIEW
I purchased this e-book from Amazon.co.uk for £1.99.
I have to admit to liking both covers of this book, though the one on the left,showing the wintery scene is more appropriate. It depicts the "wilds" in winter, that Annabel wishes to escape to. I also like the cover on the right with the beautiful purple flowers that could depict freedom.
I had spoke to Lauren Oliver on a forum/questions & answer setting and had expressed an interest in an Annabel novella, as I had read and enjoyed the Hana one so much. And as Lauren said she was seriously thinking of doing an Annabel Novella that I was eagerly awaiting it.
I enjoyed learning more about Annabel and how she met Lena's father, as well as what had happened with her own family. This novella gives you a little insight into why Carol (Lena's aunt and Annabel's sister is how she is in Delirium too)
I did really enjoy this rather short novella. I think £1.99 is quite expensive for a novella of this length though it also had a short piece of Requiem too.
So did I enjoy the novella? Yes. Would I recommend it? Yes to those Delirium fans! Would I read more in the Series? I am seriously looking forward to Requiem I had been desperately hoping for an ARC! Would I read more by Lauren Oliver? Yes, I enjoy her style of writing its so easy to read and flow along with the story.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment