Thursday 21 March 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - NADIA SCRIEVA


Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I have always wanted to be a writer. The only other options I ever considered were astronaut and assassin, but somehow, it seemed more fun to write about those careers than to actually do them—and much healthier for my bone density and longevity.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
No, I am a full-time novelist.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
It takes quite a bit of planning beforehand and editing afterward, but I would say that two months of working intensely should be enough time to finish a 100,000 word novel. That’s with a minimum of 80-hour workweeks.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
Any book where the main character suffers a lot is difficult to write. For the reader, it’s over quickly, but a chapter that takes an hour to read will take dozens of hours and several days to write, forcing the writer to stay immersed in the negative situation for a longer period of time. The only thing to do is develop a thicker skin!

What genre would you place your books into?
All of my books have plenty of romance, but I can’t seem to keep a bit of the supernatural out of my stories. I love the added excitement of paranormal elements, and that is why I write fantasy/science-fiction.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
That’s the type of book, movie, and TV show that I grew up loving. I always felt that a paranormal world swept you away more than a regular contemporary romance story.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I do like to listen to songs that set the atmosphere for the particular chapter/scene I’m working on. I also like to write in bed, with a blanket so that I can stay warm and cozy.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewer’s you know?
I really enjoy chatting with my readers, and a few have become my closest friends. I have a team of about 4-6 readers who go through the stories and give me chapter by chapter feedback and help me to polish up the books.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Oh, yes. I feel that one can learn and grow a great deal from reviews!

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
Each book is different. Some books begin with a story, and others begin with a title.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
A bit of both. Characters are like children—you carry them in your mind for years, give birth to them on paper, and educate and raise them, hoping they’ll turn out right. But there is still a special, secret element of a soul that you can’t predict or control, no matter how hard you try.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
Hard work, devotion to the story, clever marketing, and luck! I have got the first two down, and I’m working on the third as we speak.

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
I love dancing and martial arts. I hope to have more time for them in the future!

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
Oh, yes! I love movies that are based on books, and TV series too. I was very much enjoying the “Legend of the Seeker” adaptation of the Terry Goodkind novels, and I was disappointed that they were cancelled.

Where can readers follow you?
I am very active on my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/NadiaFans
Your blog details? nadiascrieva.blogspot.com
Your web site ? www.NadiaScrieva.com
Your Twitter details? https://twitter.com/NadiaScrieva

No comments:

Post a Comment