Monday 18 March 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - HOLLY HUNT

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Holly Hunt, I was born in Sydney, Australia, and I now live somewhere in the vicinity of the national capital, Canberra.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Egyptology always struck me as being a wonderful thing to be. And then riots in Egypt made me think, you know, probably not. So after I finish my butcher's qualification, I'm hoping to start on a career that will hopefully lead me to the British Museum.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I don't think I'm there yet, really.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
Well, probably shorter than most. Counting from my first submission ever, less than three years. The book itself, about two tries.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I'm a second year apprentice in butchery, also studying at university. Not much time for writing, but I do my best.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
The Tyrant of Tarsit: A time-travelling book full of sorcery, treachery and a motorbike.


Who is your publisher? Or do you self publish?
I have a couple of publishers. Blood Moon, who I'm on tour for, is contracted to Damnation Books. All my other books are under contract to the Champagne Book Group, which has three imprints: Champagne, Carnal Passions and BURST. I have at least one book in each imprint.

Do you have a "lucky charm" or "lucky routine" you follow when waiting for your book to be accepted by a publisher?
Well, I have a particular way of setting out my submissions that seems to help. If I set them out any other way, it's always rejected, but my way has a 2/3 acceptance ratio.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
Anywhere from a week (literally got the idea on Thursday, had the novel finished by the following Wednesday) to 8 years (going on 9). Depends on how strong the story's 'voice' is, how quick it is.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
I have two favourite's. The Devil's Wife, my dark fantasy, is full of characters that are so real it's hard not to empathise and sympathise with them. That's always a winner. My story-book-series that's been going for 6 books and 9 years, that's my real favourite. Can't work on it like that unless you love the thing. 

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
My mum, who got a qualification in editing just to help, is generally the first one to read my fantasy stuff. My partner reads my erotica, to make sure I'm not embarrassing him.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
It might be vain, but I live for reviews. I google my name every couple of weeks to make sure I haven't missed any reviews. It's kind of pathetic, but oh-so-wonderful when you get a good one.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
Generally I get half-way before I choose a title. Most of the time it gets changed before I get to the end (and many times after it) but having a title, to me, gives you the direction the story is going in.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I get into a lot of sticky situations because I plot the first half of the book and then let it flow on. Sometimes it flies, sometimes the book plunges straight to the concrete below. There's many different books on my hard drive that got to 20,000 words, then died because they didn't fly.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
You just can't beat the smell of a paperback fresh off the bookstore shelf. Even though I'm e-published before anything else, there's nothing like opening that first box of paperbacks and taking a sniff. You can almost smell the story coming off them.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
Lord of the Rings. Oh my god, what a bore. I managed to squeeze through the Hobbit, but LOTR just completely puzzles me. And the movies were even worse. Never will I try to read those things again.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I do use a penname for my erotica. Jophrael L. Avario. It's actually the name of a character in one of my fantasy books' sequel. I think it's a good name, made it up myself.

Where can readers follow you?
Anywhere but home.
(yes that would be a bit too....er stalker-ish lol)

Your Blog Details?
http://rhythempoets.wordpress.com

Your Facebook Page? 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Holly-Hunt/111905542194012

Your Goodreads Author Page? 
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4717881.Holly_Hunt

Your Twitter Details? 
@hollyhuntauthor






No comments:

Post a Comment