Monday 18 February 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - FOLAMI & ABENI MORRIS


Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Abeni: I always wanted to be a singer or just plain old famous, but I like how my life turned out.
Folami: I wanted to be a writer, a doctor, a singer, a dancer or a queen.  I can’t sing or dance and all the princes with king potential are married, so some of those options were null and void. I’m currently applying to medical school, so I guessed I’m poised to accomplish at least two of my dreams.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
Abeni: Unfortunately, that day hasn’t come as yet. I’ll let you know.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
Folami: Yes, the glimmer of the idea for the book came in 2007. The book wasn’t published until 2013.  It took a very long time.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
Folami: The book is entitled The Exemeus.  20 words or less is really hard, but here goes. Hyalee Smith is the only person who can save the planet. The only problem is … she’s dead.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
Abeni: It takes 2 years to plan it, 4 months to write it, and 3 years to edit it. At least that was the amount of time for this last one. Let’s hope we get faster.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Abeni: Although this book can definitely stands alone, it is part of a series. We are currently in the outlining phase of book 2, and our plan is for it to be even better than the last.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Abeni: Definitely Hyalee, I love the growth that you see in her. I love her transition from timid child to mature adult.  I think that she is a symbol of empowerment to women.

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
Folami: I would be Virginia or Mallea. They both say whatever is on their mind and they are true to themselves. I also like Mallea because of her power, I would love to have a super power.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
Folami: The title just hit me. I was randomly thinking about the word Deus Ex Machina and my exit interview and in the weirdest version of word scramble ever, the word Exemeus popped into my head.  As for the cover, I can take no credit for our amazing cover. Our cover designer, Amalia Chitulesca, took a passage of our book and constructed this amazing image. She was awesome, constantly listening to our random changes about arm placement and the position of Hyalee’s fingers. I have yet to see a better designer.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
Abeni: So far we have always chosen the book title first. We have the names of all of the sequels (tentatively). The title has been fairly simple to come up with so far, but maybe it will change in the future. Only time will tell.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
Folami: I love the idea of books transferring to movies, and yet they rarely work out well. I will say that Twilight transferred really well.

Do you have a treasured book from your childhood? If yes, what is it?
Folami: Yes! Spot and Tippy. It was the first book that I ever read on my own and it has such a special place in my heart. I was always so jealous of my sister, because she could read, and that book marked my first independent reading assignment.
Abeni: You took mine. That is my favorite too.

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
Abeni: As a full time mom and teacher, I rarely get to read. I’m hoping to get more reading done soon.
Folami: Look out for A & E Kirk, the authors of Demons at Deadnight. Their book is amazing. It is really well written, inventive, and hilarious. The characters are so well developed, the pacing is superb, and the plot is riveting. If you buy any book this year, well, let it be The Exemeus, but if you buy two books this year let the other book be Demons at Deadnight.  

What do you think about book trailers?
Folami: I love book trailers, but a lot of times they are just as hard to market as the book.
Abeni: I think it’s rare for one to be made really well. On occasion you’ll see a good one, but often they don’t quite convey enough or they’re too long. I really like the concept though. 

Where can readers follow you?
Abeni: We are on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TheExemeus
Folami: Our blog is www.theexemeus.blogspot.com
And you can reach us via twitter at https://twitter.com/TheExemeus
Your Goodreads author page?
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6595275.Abeni_Morris



No comments:

Post a Comment