Wednesday 6 February 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - L.S. MURPHY


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Linda Murphy, but I write as L.S. Murphy since I have a particular dislike for my first name. Mainly because hearing it always meant I was in trouble as a kid. J I was raised in a small farming community in Northeast Missouri called Kahoka, but I currently live in St. Louis, Missouri.  

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
Yes, I have a full-time day job.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
Reaper is published through J. Taylor Publishing, a traditional, boutique publisher.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same     genre? Books of a different genre?
My focus has shifted more to contemporary YA, although I’m not opposed to write another YA paranormal/urban fantasy.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I have an office in my basement that I use quite a bit. At least until I hit a rut, then I switch things up a bit. When I writing a first draft, I’m usually rocking out to my Green Day station or Linkin Park station on Pandora. When I’m revising or editing, I turn on light classical music.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
Absolutely not. Not everyone likes the same things, so why demand that someone like something they don’t? That seems silly to me. Bad reviews are a part of being a writer.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
Quincy’s name was the hardest. Her first name had to mean fifth and I wanted her last name to reflect the immortality of being a grim reaper. Amarante means unfading in Greek.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
Usually as I go. The character’s reveal themselves to me as I write the first draft.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I used to go with the flow, but now I outline each chapter before getting into the first draft.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
In my current WIP, which I’m still in the revision phase, the location is based on my hometown. None of my character are based on anyone I know.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
I read a lot of ebooks due to convenience. It’s easier to carry my Kindle around than a hardback, but I read in all formats. Usually, I just read the hardbacks or paperbacks on the weekends.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. Whenever I see a movie that’s made from a novel, I go in with an open mind. Movies are completely different than books. As long as the basic plot is the same, the movie should be good. If they change the plot or the characters, then the movie will fail.
Favourite adaptation: A Time to Kill by John Grisham ~ The screenwriters really stuck to the novel & the actors gave amazing performances.
Least Favourite: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief  by Rick Riordan ~ Riordan created such wonderful characters. Percy was a smartass, but that got lost in the film. They lost the essence of the book when they made the movie.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
No.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
I read all the time as a kid.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Don’t give up. Keep writing. Keep submitting. If you truly believe that this is what you want, you will get there. 

Links:








1 comment:

  1. I loved this book! I got a nice little bday gift from Ms. Murphy just the other day :) Great interview!

    ReplyDelete