Thursday 7 February 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - EMILY KIMELMAN


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

My name is Emily Kimelman. I was born in Philadelphia and right now I’m staying with some friend’s in Goa, India. My trawler, OUR WAY, is where I spend most of the year. She is hauled in the Hudson Valley but will be back in the water for Spring.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I wanted to be a photographer. In fact, I was a photographer for two years after high school which was exciting and educational. I learned that I did not want to be a photographer though it took me to some amazing places like Rio de Janerio and the UK B Boy championships.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
Once I started writing every day. I think that if you are writing then you are a writer no matter where you’re paychecks come from.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
Not anymore. I bartender for years and owned a glassblowing gallery with my husband but now I write full time and travel the world. It’s a dream.

What genre would you place your books into?
My Sydney Rye series are dark murder mysteries. They are hard boiled and I’m strongly influence by Chandler, Hemingway... and Jane Austen.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I’m severely dyslexic and had to go to a special school to learn to read. It wasn’t until I was 11 that a light bulb went off in my head and the crazy squiggles on the page suddenly made sense. The first books I read myself were Agatha Christie and I loved them. Not only was I super proud that I could read them but I also fell in love with mystery genre. And since I’m basically writing books I want to read they come out as mysteries, though much much darker and more violent than Christie.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
Since I write in a series I’m always kind of thinking long term about what will happen to Sydney. I know landmarks in her life that won’t come for several books but for my present WIP I know I want to give her more time with the love interest in INSATIABLE but also challenge her in a new country. She’ll be in India since that’s where I am right now and it makes such a rich and interesting background for a novel. The other night we were at a concert and I had this image of someone being pulled out of the crowd to a waiting van. I saw the reaction of Sydney and those around her. It just popped into my head and sometimes it happens like that, just poof, here’s some story for you.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
Yes, of course, I couldn’t write my books with out the patience and help of several people. The first person manuscripts go to is my best friend, Mette. She reads everything I write and offers awesome constructive criticism. Everything I hand to her I say “it’s just awful, a mess, but possibly brilliant, I don’t know, ah!” Mette reads it and calmly tells me where I’ve gone off the rails but also how much she liked it. Then once I’ve implemented her suggestions I give it to another group of beta readers. I’m lucky to have Mark Bowden and Roxana Robinson as mentors. They push me to be a better writer with each manuscript.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
I send out tons of copies in advance to readers who’ve supported me in the past. I send them to bloggers, friends, family, anyone who is willing to read it. Reviews are one of the most powerful tools for selling my books and I love them. I love the people who are kind enough to write them.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Yup, can’t help myself. I get mostly four and five stars so rarely do my cheeks burn with embarrassment. Often even my three star reviews are totally complimentary. But, yeah, I feel a thrill of excitement every time I see a new review has posted. And if it’s a good one, I feel awesome. If it’s a bad one, I tell myself they don’t matter :)

(Thank you for taking the time out from your busy schedule to take part in an Interview for my Blog)





No comments:

Post a Comment