Thursday 21 February 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - B.A. MORTON


   
What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is BA Morton, Babs to my friends. I’m a Geordie lass, born in Newcastle in the North East of England. I now live in a picturesque valley in rural Northumberland, not far from the Scottish Border.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I suppose when my first novel, Mrs Jones, was published and I held the book in my hands, an exciting moment.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
From submission to publication took about six months.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I work part time in the village GP surgery.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
Taylor Street Publishing, who are based in San Francisco.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
To be honest it depends on the book. My medieval novel Wildewood Revenge involved a lot of research, but ordinarily I’d say about six months for the first draft, then another three for editing.

What can we expect from you in the future?  i.e. More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I write in a number of genres, crime, romance and historical. Molly Brown is the second book in a series featuring Tommy Connell. I have a third planned. I also have a medieval time travel trilogy The Wildewood Chronicles. The first of this series, Wildewood Revenge, was published in October 2012. The second Wildewood Redemption should be out later in 2013. My current WiP is Bedlam, an English Gothic with a twist. I’m hoping for a summer release for this one.
(Wow you sound like a really busy author! I'll keep an eye out for the titles, and try and Promote those too)

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
I’d have to say Tommy Connell. He’s impulsive, loyal and sexy and has a great sense of humour. He also has issues with authority and taking advice, but he’s very resourceful which means I can happily send him into all kinds of crazy situations and know that he’ll survive. He also has a past which is gradually revealing itself throughout the series.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? i.e. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
I have some good friends, some who are fellow writers and others who are avid readers and I value their opinion. I generally run the first 10,000 words by them and then have them read the first draft of the final manuscript.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Yes, I think if someone has taken the time to write a review, the least you can do is read it even if it’s less than complimentary. I’ve had some wonderful reviews and some less so and I think you have to remember that any review is subjective and not everyone will love your baby.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
Title first, in fact quite often I’ll start with an image which fires the imagination and leads to a title and then hey presto, I’m off!

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
I don’t think about it too much. Often a name will just pop into my head and I’ll go for it. More thought has to be given to names in my medieval novels as the name has to be appropriate for the period.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
Go with the flow. Basically I start writing and see where I end up. I like the element of surprise. I enjoy allowing the characters a little free rein to see what mischief they can get up to.

How do you market/promote your books?
In addition to publisher promotions, I tend to use online marketing. I’m also a member of the Crime Writer’s Association, so I’m able to network and promote there too. I have also hosted readings and talks about my books. I find this face to face contact with readers especially rewarding.
(Don't forget us bloggers that love to help to promote Independent Authors too! :) If I don't have time to read and review a book I will try my best to do a Promotional Spotlight! especially for Authors I have worked with before)

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
Firstly the genre; Crime, romance and paranormal currently seem to be the best sellers. But beyond that you need a believable, entertaining plot and likeable characters who the reader can engage with.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
In Molly Brown the search for the killer runs parallel to Molly’s search for the Wizard of Oz and Connell’s lack of self belief. If there’s a message at all, it’s that courage isn’t about being fearless. It’s about being fearful and still stepping up to the mark.

Thank you, Sandra, for allowing me the opportunity to chat about my writing and my books.
Babs Morton 2013

Thankyou Babs, it's been great chatting and doing the Interview with you too! ~ Jeanz




No comments:

Post a Comment