Sunday 8 July 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - MARGARET PEARCE




What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Margaret Pearce, I was born in Northcote, suburb of Melbourne, Victoria Australia and now live in the Dandenong ranges, an outer suburb of Melbourne, Victoria Australia.


Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I started as a very heavy reader because i was sick so much - bronchitis, ear infections, broken bones. Obviously I wanted to be a reader but being a writer pays so much more!


When did you first consider yourself "a writer"? 
I considered myself a writer when I received my first pay cheque!


Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
It took 18 months to get my first book published.


Did you work another job as well as your writing work?
I did secretarial work, 130 words per minute and a typing speed of 80. In those days I ensured I was always socially acceptable in any office.


What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in 20 words or less what would you say?
Invitation to a Stranger is my latest book, an in 20 words or less, 
Three teenage girls discover an interesting, nut creepy background to the new boy in the district. Buy it now!

Who is your publisher? or do you self-publish?
Astraea Press is one of my publishers and i only self-published my children's crocodile book because the publishers were squeamish about a crocodile that was tempted to eat people and pets. (the kids loved it!).

Do you have a "lucky charm" or "lucky routine" you use whilst waiting for a book to be accepted by a publisher?
My routine is to start working on the next book and papering the laundry wall with rejection slips from other publishers.

How long does it take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing it?
Three to Six months, except the time when I was paid to finish a 30,000 words one in just three weeks!

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
The historical ones were easier, especially the ones set in my childhood era of the secon world war era.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie. More books of the same genre?
Maybe one more of the paranormal genre.

Do you have plans for another book? Is the book part of a series?
Maybe.

What genre would you place your books into?
Mainly Teenage and Children.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
With so much information on hand with raising four children.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? if you have a favourite why is it your favourite?
When doggo went purple, or the week at mon repose.

Do you have a favourite character from your books and why?
The cats. They told me to.

If you had to choose to be one of your characters from your books who/what would it be?
The cats obviously, I need servants too.

How long have you been writing? and who/what inspired you to write?
Since school. I don't need inspiration as I am a compulsive writer.

Where do you get your plot ideas from? Who/what inspires you?
I have a weird subconscious.

Do you have a certain routine for writing? ie. listen to music, or sot in a certain chair?
I sit and glare at the blank screen!

Do you have anyone read your books and give you reviews before you release them? ie, friends, family, fellow authors?
My writers group all died on me.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews on them?
No.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Yes, I do.

What was the best/toughest review you ever had?
I papered over the toughest with rejection slips and framed the rest.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if was not all positive?
No of course I wouldn't. I do not have close acquaintances with reviewers.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs of your books? Who designed the cover of your books?
My editors organize most things, I only have to approve them.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book and then choose a title?
I write the book first, I do the title sometimes or suggest 2 or 3 titles.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
From my subconscious.

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? Or do you pick names and then create?
The characters are there first and then they move in their own direction and geography.

Do you decide character traits (such as quiet, tomby, girly, grumpy etc) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
Characters just take over!

Do you do a basic plot/plan for your book before starting to write it?
No I don't.

How do you promote.market your book?
I go where I am invited mostly.

So what do you think makes a good best seller?
Something readable

Have you ever suffered from writers block? If yes how did you cope?
If I suffer writers block, I go outside and take it out on the weeds.

What do you do to unwind and relax?
I read and swim.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Only accidently (funny that, from her daughter who is typing).

Are there any hidden messages or morals in your books? (Like Aesop's Fables)
This is generally that you have to get on with your life.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
James Barrie and George Bernard Shaw.

Which format of book do you prefer? (E-book, paperback, audio book, or hardback)
Any with a good story.

What is your favourite book and why?
Terry Pratchett's books of course!

Do you think that books transfer to movies well? Which is your favourite/worst books to movie transfer?
Gone with the wind.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? Is it e-book, hardback....?
Snuff by Terry Pratchett, and its hardback.

Do you think e-books will ever replace printed physical paperback/hardback books?
No.

Do you think children at schools nowadays are encouraged to read and do imaginative writing enough?
No, and No.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories? Or is writing something newer in your life?
Yes I read a lot at school and would say my writing started then.

Did you have a favourite Author as a child?
Mary Grant Bruce.

Did you have a treasured book as a child, and if yes what was it?
Peter Pan.

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
Fantasy.

Is there anything in any of your books that you would change now if you could?
My ratty English in my first book.

What do you think about book trailers?
Good idea.

What piece of advice would you give a new writer?
Keep writing.

Do you or would you ever consider using a pen name?
I do for my romance writing.

If you could invite three favourite authors to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Lois McMaster Bujold, Terry Pratchett and Kerry Greenwood.



Thankyou for taking the time to take part in this Interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment