Thursday 15 September 2016

COVER COMMENTS - GILDED CAGE - DARK GIFTS SERIES BY VIC JAMES

My cover descriptions and comments are based only on the cover itself, though I will most likely have already checked out the blurb for my cover comments I disregard that, using just whats on the book cover to decide if it would make me pick the book up from a bookstore shelf.

                      
Cover A
This cover (above on the left)has a quite stark white appearance which makes the black font of the title and authors name stand out all the more. The title has what I would describe as a trellis style font, I can visualise the extra curves and the fancy styled "E" being part of an ornate gate design. There is also a byline written on the cover which says "Not all are free" which is rather cryptic and starts ou thinking about the book. Another item on the cover that sort of backs up this byline is a golden (or as it says in the title "gilded") colour cage with a bird trapped within it. The book that springs to mind when I look at the cover is Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch.
So would this cover make me pick the book up from a bookstore shelf? Yes, the cover would pique my interest enough to make me pick the book up to read the blurb.


Cover B
This cover (above on the right) has a softer burnished silver look to it's background. The book title is written smaller and in red, which does stand out well. The font is what I can only describe as blade, or shard like. The authors name is also written in a smaller, thinner font and is black in colour. The main feature are black ornate gates both at the top and bottom of the cover. There is also a flying bird, a black crow maybe that's looks like it has taken off from the gates. There's a byline on this cover too which says, "Unequal, Unbroken" which would make me a little curious about the plot within. Though there is no physical cage on this book, the title still makes me think of Kate Jarvik Birch's Perfected cover.
So would this cover make me want to pick this book up from a bookstore shelf? Yes, the cover would bring out my curiosity. . .ok nosiness! I'd want to know who live behind such ornamental gates! so I would definitely go on to pick up the book and read the blurb.


So which cover do I prefer?
Well the first cover I actually came across was Cover B and I admit I fell in love with it! It made me want to read the blurb straight away. Having said that when I saw Cover A, I did like the cover and it too made me want to learn more about the book. So to be truthful I can honestly say that both covers did their job well enough by tugging my curiosity and promptly encouraging me to pick the book up or in the case of spotting the book online encouraged me to scroll down to read the blurb. I can candidly say I love aspects on each cover, if I was pushed to choose one cover, it would have to be Cover B!

So which cover do YOU prefer and why?
  
Want to know a little more about the book?
The book is the first book in the Dark Gifts Series
The book is expected to be released on 14th February 2017
The  publisher is Pan Macmillan/Del Rey Books

And the Blurb. . . .?
A darkly fantastical debut set in a modern England where magically gifted aristocrats rule and commoners are doomed to serve.


NOT ALL ARE FREE.
NOT ALL ARE EQUAL.
NOT ALL WILL BE SAVED. 

Our world belongs to the Equals—aristocrats with magical gifts—and all commoners must serve them for ten years. But behind the gates of England's grandest estate lies a power that could break the world. 

A girl thirsts for love and knowledge.

Abi is a servant to England's most powerful family, but her spirit is free. So when she falls for one of the noble-born sons, Abi faces a terrible choice. Uncovering the family's secrets might win her liberty, but will her heart pay the price? 

A boy dreams of revolution.

Abi's brother, Luke, is enslaved in a brutal factory town. Far from his family and cruelly oppressed, he makes friends whose ideals could cost him everything. Now Luke has discovered there may be a power even greater than magic: revolution. 

And an aristocrat will remake the world with his dark gifts.

He is a shadow in the glittering world of the Equals, with mysterious powers no one else understands. But will he liberate—or destroy? 


The Genre's the book falls into are YA, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Dystopian.
So I'm putting this one on my Want To Read 2017 Wishlist
How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment