Monday 29 April 2013

THE VOICE BY JENNIFER ANNE DAVIS

ISBN: 9780985725006
ASIN: B00B77XPFW
Publisher: Lands Atlantic
Pages: 288
Formats Available: Paperback, E-book.

BLURB from Goodreads
During her abduction and assault, Audrey begins to hear a voice. She hopes she's not going crazy, because after what she's experienced, that's the most logical explanation. However, as she begins to listen to the voice, Audrey realizes that someone may be telepathically trying to help her.

Unfortunately, rescue isn't all she needs. In order to leave behind the constant reminders, she flees to her Aunt Kate's house in San Diego, and assumes a new identity. It works until the eighteen-year-old twin boys who live next door threaten to break through the protective walls she's worked so hard to build.
Between Caleb going out of his way to befriend her and Justin avoiding her at all costs, Audrey doesn't know if normalcy will ever find her again. But one thing is certain: When a familiar danger resurfaces, it's the same voice that she turns to -- a voice that is not only real, but a lot closer than she realizes.


Quotes about the book
"Gripping and tastefully told, The Voice is a story of healing, trust, and courage."

MY REVIEW
The cover shows a female who looks scared on the front cover, you also see a barn or wooden hut, maybe cabin in the background with plenty of trees and perhaps forest there too.
Upon reading the book you learn the scared female on the front cover is in fact Audrey, and when you learn the traumatic ordeal she underwent in a cabin in the woods you totally understand her fear.
I think the cover represents the book really well, and would I pick it up from a book store shelf? Yes I think I would definitely pick it up to learn more.
Now to the book, whilst Audrey is being held captive she begins to hear a voice in her head. she doesn't know if she is going mad due to her ordeal or if someone is truly communicating with her. The voice helps Audrey through her ordeal and when she is freed, the voice still speaks to her occasionally. Audrey naturally tells no one about the Voice as she doesn't want to appear more troubled or strange than she already is in other peoples view. Audrey hates that people look at her with pity, and the way her family look at her with pity and guilt, after all she had told her family about her attacker watching her and making her feel uneasy long before she was kidnapped. Unable to cope in the house she was abducted from she goes to stay with her young modern school teacher aunt Kate. Kate decides to keep Audrey's mind from her ordeal she should attend school so enrolls her and even gets the two guys next door that are Audrey's age to keep an eye on her. Caleb is outgoing, flirty, yet respectful and protective around Audrey. Justin seems to hate being around crowds, a bit of a loner yet is still around if and when Audrey needs his help.
I really don't want to give away more of the story as it is a beautifully written book, that was an interesting read that lead you by the hand through the many emotions that Audrey feels. The Quote about the book that I have taken from the Goodreads book blurb is so totally true. This book tells the story of Audrey's journey where she has to heal mentally and physically, which takes a lot of courage. Probably an even bigger thing Audrey has to relearn the ability to trust those around her, even her family.
So did I enjoy the book? Yes, yes, yes! Would I recommend the book? Yes I have recommended this book to my teen daughter and I think my mum would also read and enjoy the book. Would I read a Bk2? If there was one yes, but how the book ends I doubt there will be. Will I read more by Jennifer Anne Davis? Definitely, I will keep my eyes wide open for more future titles by her. I try not to compare books to each other but the feelings I felt throughout the book and afterwards did remind me of another fantastic book I have read and reviewed on my blog, called Read Me Dead by Emerald Barnes. So if you've read that book this is definitely for your reading tastes.

Purchase Links

No comments:

Post a Comment