Friday 12 April 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - ERIC GRIFFITH

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Eric Griffith, born in the small town of Hornell, New York, now living in Ithaca, New York (just far enough away!)

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
When I was a kid, I mostly wanted to be a superhero. Apparently, that job does not pay. Of course, neither does writing. 


Do you work another job as well as your writing work?My day job is writing and editing for PCMag.com, the best damn tech site in the business.



What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
KALI: THE GHOSTING OF SEPULCHER BAY is about a girl with a ghost possession problem. Luckily she's got some ghost friends who look out for her. 


What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I'm working on a sequel to KALI right now; after that I'll do a more adult fantasy novel called HUGO HUGE about a homeless guy who gets some super powers, and gets caught in a war between ancient druids and invading aliens

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I didn't dive back into writing fiction regularly until I was about 35, around eight years ago. Kids, don't stop writing in your 20s, that's valuable time to suck, so you're better at it when you're 35 than I was. 

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?Since I work from home, I try to leave the house in the evenings to go write. Typically I get a hot chocolate at a café, listen to movie sound tracks on Pandora over my iPhone, and type type type.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
My worst but maybe favorite review was on my first novel, BETA TEST, wherein someone said I should never write again. I agree, but only because I'm lazy and writing is hard work. 
Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I've done it both ways, and I definitely enjoy seeing where it goes as I write; that said, it goes a LOT faster if I plot it out ahead of time. 

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?Wait, writing is my hobby! I think I am doing the relaxation thing wrong


Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
These days I'm all about the ebooks. I've got a iphone with Kindle app plus a Kindle, so I've always got my book with me. 

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it? (ebook, hardback or paperback)
I just finished the ebook of Steven Gould's IMPULSE. It's the sequel to his book JUMPER. And it is amazingly awesome. 

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Finish. That's the most important thing. Just finish the book. It doesn't have to be good. I guarantee it won't be good! But if you finish, that's such a huge accomplishment, that maybe you'll go back and want to fix it and make the book work. 

Where can readers follow you? 

Your Blog Details?
 http://www.squishedfrog.com 
Your Web Site? http://egriffith.info 
Your Facebook Page? https://www.facebook.com/egriffith 
Your Amazon Author Page? http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Griffith/e...
Your Goodreads Author Page? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/... 
Your Twitter Details? https://twitter.com/egriffith 




1 comment:

  1. Judging by your photo, I'd say you've got that superhero thing going on ;)
    I love your book cover... the font you've used for Kali is beautiful.
    Very entertaining interview!
    Suzy Turner, YA Author

    ReplyDelete