Monday 22 April 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - ELLIE HELLER

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

Ellie or Alison, Chicago, SW Ohio.

Did you always want to be a writer?
I've always loved writing, but didn't see it as a career for a long time.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I think when I completed my first novel.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
Yes and no. It look a long time for me to feel my book was ready to submit. I queried A Matter of Fate for a little over year before it found a home. From what I heard that's not a particularly long time - although that's not what I felt while going through it!

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
At this time no, but that's only recently and is subject to change.


What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
I actually caught the publisher's eye through a twitter pitch, so how about I use that, it just so happens to be twenty words! Mona’s life is complicated enough, with a bespelled friend and goons chasing after her. Meeting her mate? Really bad timing.

Who is your publisher?
Crimson Romance, an imprint of F&W Media.

Do you have a "lucky charm" or "lucky routine" you follow when waiting for your book to be accepted by a publisher?
LOL, no, but maybe I should!

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
There are threads intentionally left open at the end of this book and, yes, I am hard at work wrapping up the next story.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
I'd have to say it'd be the Puck, because writing the grumpy, finicky man who always has an outfit for the occasion is a ton of fun.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I attempt to write every morning from nine to noon. I typically sit on the couch with a lap top, but I've been known to use a desk once in a while.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
I take part in a group on Goodreads which offers copies in exchange for reviews, which I think is what you're asking, right?

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
I'd like to say no, but yes, as of now I do.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books? 
Nope.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
About half the time I make up names, like Averill, the shifter leader in A Matter of Fate. The rest of the time I use a name which I think works for the character. As for places, I don't have any made up names in A Matter of Fate, but in my fantasy stories I think about the culture and the types of words I'd think they'd use.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I do a mixture. I start with a plot idea or situation and begin to write, exploring the concept and if it looks strong enough to carry a story. After I've written a bit, I'll sit down and plot out the rest. Sometimes I do plot out the entire story ahead of time, though, particularly if it's a short story.

How do you market/promote your books?
Well I do book tours.:-) I'm on Goodreads, have a Facebook page, a website and am on twitter. My publisher is also very good about getting their books into major media markets such as USA today and Women's Day.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback) 
I've been saving a couple of books and am finally getting a chance to read Wolf With Benefits on my kindle.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
No, I don't, at least not in my lifetime.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
My daughter is an avid reader and hates reading for school. Why? Because the experience is no longer organic, she has to write down the title, start a timer so she makes sure she reads at least a minimum amount and then keep a log on what chapters she read and her reaction to them. The whole production is burdensome. Thankfully it hasn't turned her off reading.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
I read a lot and used to, as often I could, write fiction for my essays and papers. One example, I wrote an exchange of letters to show two people arguing a point of philosophy as the French revolution unfolded around them.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
I couldn't finish Twilight.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
One, polish before you pitch, but don't keep tweaking, tweaking and never pitch! Oh, and get a couple of beta readers or join a critique group, it'll help you immeasurably to get your story cleaned up.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
My pen name is Ellie Heller, although it is a 'real name' since it's what I was called in high school. I came to use it because a decade or more ago, when I first starting joining online writing forums and groups I was told by my techie friends to not use my real name. So instead I used a name I hadn't been called in a while. Once I started getting ready to submit, and then when I was getting published, I chose to keep the name as a) I was 'known' by it online and b) my married last name is a nightmare to spell.

Where can readers follow you:

Your Blog Details? 
Your Website? 
Your Facebook Page? 
Your Twitter Details? 
@elliewrites2
Pinterest:




2 comments:

  1. Great Interview! Really engaging!
    New GFC and Bloglovin Follower
    Danielle @ Coffee and Characters
    http://www.daniellecromero.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Danielle! Sorry I missed you Monday, I was checking the wrong post.

    ReplyDelete