Thursday 11 April 2013

NESSA: A BREEDERS STORY BY KATIE FRENCH



ISBN: 9781301560943
Publisher: Self/Indie
Pages: 34
Formats Available: E-book

BLURB from Goodreads
Eighteen-year-old Nessa knows what it’s like to be an endangered species. Grown up in a dying world where nine out of ten babies are born male, she survives by trusting no one. When Marlin, the nineteen-year-old gunslinger with the sky-blue eyes, kills the man who has been keeping her enslaved, Nessa decides this handsome stranger might be her meal ticket. What she doesn’t realize is love is still possible, even in their decimated world. When Nessa discovers she’s pregnant with Marlin’s child, her difficult life now teeters on a knife’s edge. Can she bear to bring a child into their shattered world? Better yet, can Marlin keep them safe from those that hunt Nessa?

A companion story to The Breeders, this prequel novelette (34 pages or 10,000 words) explores the origins of two important characters and gives a deeper look into their background. It contains minor spoilers to the novel and is intended for mature teens and adults.

MY REVIEW
I bought this book whilst part way through reading The Breeders. I knew by that point in The Breeders Bk#1 that I would want to read everything and anything in this. The other series I have been like this with is the Delirium Series by Lauren Oliver and of course my most favourite Series ever The Demon Trappers by Jana Oliver. Anyhow back to this review I bought this novella from Amazon for 77p which personally I feel is the perfect price for a novella (if not free of course). I have paid more than 77p for a novella but I don’t like it!
The cover is a great depiction of the missed childhood that females have in the world featured in this book. The colouring of the cover is dark, and grey and kind of depressing, just like a females prospects in life.
So the blurb of this novella tells us this short tale is about Nessa, and what has happened and what happens to her throughout her life from basically being a slave to a guy named “Big Mike” to being rescued by a gun toting handsome guy called Marlin, through to her having a child ....and ...well I don’t want to give away everything do I?
Lets just say that Nessa hasn’t had a great start in life, then when Marlin comes along she doesn’t know whether to trust this handsome rugged guy or maybe try and use him to stay away from the Breeders. Maybe this guy Marlin can protect her, he is a pretty good shot with a gun.
All seems to be going well, hiding out form the Breeders, kept safe by Marlin, al be it in a strange and not so nice place to be staying. Then Nessa finds out she is pregnant. . . will Marlin want a baby? What if he doesn’t will he sell her to the Breeders? How can she run from the Breeders when she is physically too big to run?
This short novella is written in the same well written style and fast pace as the book The Breeders. I loved it. Without giving spoilers its difficult to explain the other reason I loved it, Mmm lets just say you learn more about two characters who are in The Breeders in this novella and lots of questions are answered as well as you being given the reasons for their maybe strange actions in The Breeders. You definitely need to read The Breeders first and then this novella. Reading the novella would give you too much knowledge when you got to a certain part in The Breeders when you “meet” Nessa.
So did I enjoy the novella? Yes Would I recommend? Yes after reading The Breeders. Would I read more in this series? Definitely, ye please whenever there is  more available to read .....! Would I read other novels/novellas by Katie French? I would certainly take a good look at them so I guess the answer is yes.

Purchase List!

No comments:

Post a Comment