Monday 29 April 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JENNIFER ANNE DAVIS

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
Not really, once I knew what I was doing! The first book I wrote, I tried to get it published with no luck. I didn’t really understand what genre I was writing or how to market myself. After a year of writing and a year of trying to get published, I took a break. I spent the next year READING!! I read well over 200 YA books that year. Then I decided to try again. I spent four months writing and eight months revising. I also joined the SCBWI where I met three fabulous critique partners that really helped with the revising process. Then I started querying. I had a ton of interest. After about six months, I had a few fulls out, including one to a publishing house. Then I got the call!! After signing with a publishing house, it took just about two years to see my book in print!! So while the journey feels long, it really wasn’t.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
My publisher is Lands Atlantic Publishing and they are fantastic!!

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
A solid year. I usually spend about one month thinking about the story, just getting ready to write. Then it takes about four-six months to write the book. Then at least another six months revising. For me, revising is the hardest part.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
My book The Voice was fairly easy to write because it’s contemporary and only called for a little bit of research. My next series was much more difficult for me because it is a different genre (fantasy) and I have to create an entire world. 

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
You can expect different things from me! While I will always write YA, I like exploring different genres. Like I mentioned, my next series is a light fantasy series so it is something else entirely.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
Ideas always come when I’m lying in bed and can’t fall asleep. I think of some interesting story, hoping to get tired. It never works. What usually happens is I come up with a story that becomes so interesting to me. I can’t stop thinking about it. So I end up writing the idea down in hope to turn it into a book one day!

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I listen to music when I have an emotional scene to write. Music always helps get my mind where it needs to be to write something with depth. However, if I’m revising, it has to be quiet otherwise I’m too distracted to focus. I also have a room I call my writing room. It’s painted my favorite shade of steel blue and all of my books are in there. I almost always write in that room.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
I have two critique partners that I work closely with during the writing process. Once my book is written and I’m ready to revise, I have several neighbors read my book and offer feedback. This way I can discover if something’s wrong with plot, structure, or with my characters. Then I revise like mad, and work with my critique partners again. It’s hard having others read my material, especially when it’s not polished. However, the feedback is invaluable!

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
So far yes, but there hasn’t been too many and they’ve all been nice. I’m sure this will change one day! For me, reviews are helpful because I like to know what people didn’t like about my book. Finding out the bad stuff is what will make me a better writer in the future. Not that this means you need to focus on the negative in my review!

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
Yes! I find pictures in magazines of what all my characters look like before I start writing. I put those pictures on a piece of paper and list all of their character traits. Then when I’m writing, I already know almost everything about them. It makes the process so much easier, not to mention it helps keep everyone straight in my head!

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I do a very detailed timeline before I start. It takes me weeks to work out all of the details. I basically have a map of what happens in every single chapter. Then I can make sure structurally, everything happens when and where it should. It also helps me stay focused, on task, and it avoids writer’s block. Not that there aren’t times when things come up that I wasn’t planning on as I’m writing, but it really helps me. Otherwise I don’t think I’d ever finish. And I’m sure I’d forget what I was doing and where I was going with the story!!

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
With The Voice there is. I really wanted to stress the importance of girls standing up for themselves and finding their own voice within. 

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
Hardback. I’m old fashioned and love my books!


What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
Oh dear! How can I pick just one? Well, I love The Hunger Games, Graceling, Fire, The Girl of Fire and Thorns, City of Bones, Grave Mercy, Poison Study . . .ok I’ll stop now. I could go on forever!!!!!!!And I’ve read all of them several times! I prefer reading to watching TV.



What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I’m reading The Crown of Embers and I LOVE it!!! I’m reading hardback of course!  

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
No. As long as the story has certain elements (romance, tension, action, suspense) then I’ll read it!

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Hmmm, I think I would invite Jay Asher, Kiersten White, and Stephenie Meyer. That would be a fun group to get together!

Where can readers follow you?

Your Web Site?  
www.JenniferAnneDavis.com

Your Facebook Page? 
https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJenniferAnneDavis

Your Goodreads Author Page?  
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15817399-the-voice

Your Twitter Details?  
https://twitter.com/AuthorJennifer

And any other information/links you wish to supply? 
(Book Trailer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qfchnq-tmw&feature=youtu.be
(Pinterest) http://pinterest.com/authorjennifer/
(Barnes and Noble) http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-voice-jennifer-anne-davis/1111482977
(Amazon) http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+voice+jennifer+anne+davis&sprefix=the+voice+jennifer+%2Caps%2C420




No comments:

Post a Comment