Sunday 11 August 2013

PROMOTIONAL SPOTLIGHT & AUTHOR INTERVIEW - SCARS OF THE EARTH BY C.S. MOORE





BLURB from Goodreads


Amanda is a healer, she is accustomed to falling into nightmares; she has witnessed terrible things ever since she could remember, horror scenes that an innocent child’s mind should never have to process.


Life as a healer had three rules:

Never question the Ancients.

Never stay in a Scar that has a demon.

And never fall in love.

Unfortunately for Amanda, she broke all three.







What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
C.S. Moore, I was born in Alaska and now live in Idaho.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I have always loved reading, but discovered my love of writing while writing and performing standup comedy.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
When my first novel, Scars of the Earth, was completed I thought I could start calling myself one. I still 
prefer the term story teller over writer, I tell amazing stories. But writer, that term is for the greats.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
My book was signed to a contract with Astraea Press five or six months after it was completed and published six months after that.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I am a mother, as well as a part time farmer/rancher. It’s hard work, but I married a country boy and he makes everything fun.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
Scars of the Earth is a paranormal story about breaking free with the highest price imaginable on the line.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
Astraea Press

Do you have a "lucky charm" or "lucky routine" you follow when waiting for your book to be accepted by a publisher?
It’s called chocolate and I eat a lot of it.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
My first novel took my three years to complete. My work in progress is almost completed and it has taken me about five months. So I think everything I learned while writing my first book has helped me quicken the writing process.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
I have only completed Scars of the Earth, but it was much harder to write than my current work in progress. It was my first leap into the writing world, and I knew next to nothing about how to write and structure a novel.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
All of the ideas rattling around in my head begging to become a novel are all in the young adult genre, so you can expect a lot of that in the next few years. Down the road, I’m open to writing whatever genre as long as it’s a superb story.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Scars of the Earth is the first in a planned series, but I am working on a new story right now. It’s titled Landlocked, and it melds the worlds of The Little Mermaid and Southern Voodoo into a mysterious and sexy adventure in Louisiana.

What genre would you place your books into?
Young adult.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
It’s what I read the most. Write what you read, or want to read, and you’ll pen a page turner.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
Scars of the Earth is my favorite, not only because it’s the only completed book, but because it is a deeply personal story. My father was a detective for many years and saw the most terrible part of society; my husband served in the Army and went off to see war. I have learned that there are just some things that a human being cannot recover from, mentally, or emotionally. The world of the novel is set on the idea that people could go back and heal spirits that have been scared by tragedy and abuse, bring them back from the dark.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
It’s a tie between Armaan from Scars of the Earth, and Clarissa from my upcoming Landlocked. They are both strong characters that provide humor in the face of adversity. With my background in standup, comedy is important to me. Even in the darkest of tales, if I’m writing it, there will be plenty of comedy.

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
Maribel from my upcoming title, Landlocked. The characters in Scars of the Earth have had way to rough a go for me to wish to be any of them…and Maribel gets to kiss Jaron, which is a plus!

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I have been writing novels for four years, but I was writing other material before that. While writing and preforming stand up comedy, I discovered that I enjoyed writing beyond that. I felt compelled to create my own worlds. At the time the market was flooded with Twilight rip offs and I thought the only way to read an original story, without a broody vampire, was to write one!

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
I find inspiration in people and places. Although what I write is set in fantasy and magic, the characters and world that is spun around them feels real because it is real people and places that imagined them up.  

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I’m afraid that I am rather boring in that regard. A mother of two, a wife, a write, a rancher, a farmer…I write when I have the time and in any quiet place I can find.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
YES! I live for my beta readers, all close friends and family. Some writers have the terrible habit of loving everything they write and thinking it’s genius, I am not one of those writers. Until someone enjoys it and begs for more of the story, I don’t think of it as special.  

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews? 
Yes.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
So far, I only have positive reviews of my book, all four and five star. But, as there are some people that hate bacon and chocolate, there will be those that don’t like my book. I don’t think that it will hurt, or come as a shock when I get a bad review and I will probably read them to see where the story fell short for them.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
One of my favorite reviews comes from the book review blog My Home Away From Home:
When I got my hands on Scars of the Earth from Moore herself, I wasn't amazed by how much I teared up, but how easy she transitioned that sadness into elatedness within a chapter. The story in itself is very different and full of paranormal angst. As I read I felt myself anticipating a lot of plot holes, as that is what I usually get from such a `mixed'--having a lot of different genre features--novel. Surprisingly, I found none and was very happy when I finished the book with no confusions whatsoever. Moore's characters are a lot of fun and mysterious at the same time. When you are presented with the MC's, Amanda's, world and history, you are literally blown away by the creativity. Demons, healers, and venom? That's enough to set my blood ablaze.
I really enjoyed both Amanda as a character and Moore's loveable way of portraying her though her writing style. The writing has a very erratic tempo, and I don't mean this in a bad way. From the very first few sentences you know you are going to love the story, and the way Moore's writing comes off as so subtle, yet meaningful is something I strongly admire. Especially with the way the story begins, a slow, heartfelt beginning is necessary.
If you are looking for different--if you are looking for amazing!--this is the novel for you.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
No way! I don’t care if someone hates my book, it’s their opinion and everyone is entitled to one. The simple fact that someone even picked up a book I wrote and gave it a chance is an honor, whether they enjoyed it or not.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
My sister, Amanda, whom the main character of Scars of the Earth is named came up with the title; and my publishers cover designer extraordinaire, Amanda L. Matthews (another Amanda) designed my beautiful cover.   

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
I write the book first, then chose the most unique and intriguing title that would fit the story.
  
How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
Most of the names in my books have meanings that fit the character. For example, Armaan is a member of the guard and is name means armed man, or foot soldier.  

Are character names and place names decided after there creation? or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
Most of the places are set in real world locations, but the ones that aren’t are named after I have a clear picture in my mind. The same goes for characters, I build a character up, then give them a name that I feel fits them.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
It depends on the character; the main character is someone that I know before starting the story. Side characters turn into whatever sort of people the story calls for when they are in a scene.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I plot the beginning, turning point or climax, and the end. The rest is almost all free writing, letting the characters and story take me where they may.

How do you market/promote your books?
I have giveaways and fun contests for my readers; we have a good time when I’m on a marketing spree!

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
I think that a best seller has to have a story and characters that consume you. If a book is easy to put down to go to sleep or work, it doesn’t hold that magic. If you look at the clock and realize that it’s three a.m. and you still can’t make yourself put down the book, you have the magic. There are plenty of great books that have the magic and aren’t bestsellers, so I guess that there is a bit of luck involved as well.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
I can always write. Sometimes when I’m not feeling particularly inspired, I’ll write pages and pages of crap that I will just delete. I guess “crap writing” is my burden. But as long as I keep writing and push past the frustration, the characters and story eventually get me to where I want to be.

What do you do to unwind and relax?Do you have a hobby?
I love music and movies, spending time with my amazing friends and family, and being with my animals outdoors. I guess I just love life in general.  

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Yes my main character is named Amanda, after my younger sister. She is a strong beautiful girl that has overcome a lot in her lifetime.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
Scars of the Earth has an underlying message, as I love sprinkling them in, about politics, power, and corruption.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
I have so many Authors that are dear to me, J.K. Rowling being one of them. But I’d never say that they influenced me, as I’d never compare my writing to theirs.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I love the new digital age, and the ability it gives me to read so many books without further straining the shelves of my bookcase, that being said, if I love a book I will buy a paperback copy.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
I can’t pick just one out, so I’ll just say the entire Harry Potter series. There really isn’t even close competition. The writing is amazingly brilliant, the plot woven so intricately that there are subplots in the second book that become vital in the sixth. There are characters that no one will ever forget in this series. It has humor, heart, and action.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
I think it all depends on the book, I’d say the lord of the rings trilogy is my favorite adaptation and twilight is probably the worst.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I’m reading the Maze Runner series by James Dashner, it’s a paperback that was gifted to me by a friend and I am loving it! If you haven’t read it, go pick it up.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
No, there will always be a market for hardcopies. I think that ebooks will grow to dominate the market, but like me, I think that people will always want a physical copy of their favorite book on the shelf.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
No, I think that our school systems aren’t putting the focus that they should on literature.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
Oh yes, I have been an avid reader my entire life, and when other kids begged their parents for new toys, I begged for books. A book is something that can take you places, have you meet new people, allow you to witness magic. To me there is no greater gift than that of a book.

Did you have a favourite author as a child?
I loved Shel Silverstein and Roald Dahl.

Do you have a treasured book from your childhood? If yes, what is it?
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein, it was the first book that emotionally impacted me. I was only six when I read it, but I remember promising myself that I’d never be like the little boy in the story and only take and never give.

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
I love young adult, paranormal, and fantasy.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
Fifty Shades of Grey, no thanks!

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
I haven’t read any new authors lately; all of the books that I have read recently are by seasoned authors.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
I am very happy with my book and I try not to look back at ways that it could have been improved, instead I take them into the next book that I am writing.

What do you think about book trailers?
I love book trailers; I think they’re a great way to get excitement going. I know when I watch a trailer whether or not I’ll like a book.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Just write! That is the most important thing you can do. You could make a million connections, send out queries, start a blog, gather an online following; but if you don’t write every day and create a great story, everything else doesn’t matter.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I do use a pen name! My real name is Cyndi Frederick, Moore is my Maiden name.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
J.K. Rowling, Steven King, and Neil Gaiman. These people are masters of the craft, their books are both character AND story driven. Having amazing plot lines and strong characters, I bow to these Goliaths!

Where can readers follow you?
Twitter: @Author_CSMoore

No comments:

Post a Comment