Thursday 2 May 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW & TOUR DATE DETAILS - L. P. DOVER

A few words from L P Dover to being with:
I am an avid reader that loves my collection of books. Writing has always been a passion of mine and now I am glad that I get to share my passion with the world. I live in North Carolina and I absolutely love being a southern girl. I spent several years in college starting out with a major in Psychology and then switching to dental. I worked in the dental field for eight years and then decided to stay home with my two beautiful girls. I spent the beginning of my reading years reading suspense thrillers, but now I can't get away from the paranormal/fantasy books. I knew ever since then that if I wrote anything it would be in a paranormal aspect. Now that I have started on my passion and began writing, you will not see me go anywhere without a notebook and pen.


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?  
My name is L.P. Dover, and I was born in N.C. I still live in the same state with my wonderful husband and two beautiful girls.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be? 
As a child, I always wanted to write.  I used to write my parents poems and wrap them up in boxes for Christmas. I never thought I would be an author when I was a child, but I did want to be an astronomer.  The planets and stars were always a fascination with me.  I would have given anything to work at NASA … lol.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"? 
Once I hit that “publish” button was when I considered myself a true writer.  It made it all real.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published? 
I had a few bumps in the road at the beginning so, yes, it took a while for Forever Fae to get published.  Betrayals of Spring and Love’s Second Chance not so much.  It was easy sailing with those two.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work? 
Of course! I consider staying at home and raising my two girls as being the hardest job of all.  They definitely keep me busy.
(I think it's really great how in America motherhood is celebrated and to be proud of, where as if you are a stay at home mum in the UK you seemed to referred to as "just a mum" or "housewife")

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say? 
Love’s Second Chance is my latest book, and I love it! I would have to say it’s a story of love, loss, and friendship.  When all hope seems to be lost, there will always be a second chance waiting for you.


Who is your publisher? or do you self publish? 
At the moment, I self-publish. I’m enjoying the freedom of it.

Do you have a "lucky charm" or "lucky routine" you follow when waiting for your book to be accepted by a publisher? 
I haven’t bothered with a publisher yet for my new books so I wouldn’t know.  Maybe one day …

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it? 
It usually takes about two months for me to complete the whole thing before sending it to the editor.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others? 
Forever Fae was the hardest.  With it being my first, I was clueless as to what to do and such.  I also just spent the past few weeks revising it so that added in a bunch of extra work.


What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre? 
Oh, I’m definitely going to have books in multiple genres.  So far I’ve written in fantasy and contemporary romance.  I’m sure I’ll throw in some paranormal in there at some point.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? 
I have plans for several books at the moment. Love’s Second Chance is book one of the Second Chances series.  These books will be more like stand alone books, but in a series.  They will all be connected, but there will be different main characters in each book.  Kind of like how my fae series is.

What genre would you place your books into? 
My fae series of course would be fantasy, and Love’s Second Chance would be in the romance genre, probably women’s fiction.

What made you decide to write that genre of book? 
I chose to write in the fantasy genre because I love magical beings.  Writing about the fae has been a fun experience for me because I can make up whatever I want and make my characters powerful.  I never thought I would write anything in the contemporary genre, but one day a story came to me and I fell in love with it. Love’s Second Chance was amazing to write.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite? 
My favourite is Love’s Second Chance. This book came straight from my heart and it was a pleasure to write. I can actually say it was easier to write as well.  The story is very special to me, so I think it will always take precedence over any book I write in the future.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite? 
Even though my favorite book to write was Love’s Second Chance, I would have to say my favorite character would be Meliantha from Betrayals of Spring. She’s a strong, and stubborn female that can kick ass any day.  I love her wit and her strength. She wasn’t afraid to fight for what she wanted. 

 If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why? 
If I had the choice I would say, Calista.  She’s the most powerful of the fae, but she’s also spunky.  I like her smart ass ways, and most importantly … she has Ryder.  Talk about swoon worthy!!!

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write? 
I’ve been writing for about a year now. I’d pondered for the past couple of years on trying to get a story put together, but never could get it right.  My good friend, Lucy Swing (author of the Feathermore trilogy) had given me the final push I needed to get started on the path of writing.  Her encouragement gave me the strength and inspiration to follow my dreams.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from? What/Who is your inspiration? 
To be honest, I really don’t know where the exact details come from.  I guess inside my head … lol. I love the fae, and my favorite fae writers are Julie Kagawa, Melissa Marr, Laurell Hamilton, Jenna Black, and Lesley Livingston.  All of their books inspire me.
(Mmm I've heard of quite a few of those and will definitely be looking up the others very soon!)

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair? 
I sit in my favorite recliner with complete silence.  For some reason, I can’t concentrate with noise around me so I like to have it quiet. I also write everything out in a notebook before transferring it to the computer.  I can’t think straight staring at the computer so I always write it out first.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know? 
Oh, yes of course.  I like to get a couple before I release so that I will have some to post on the day the books go live.  None of my family has read my books other than my sister in law.  She loves to read and is one of my biggest supporters. My husband hasn’t read a single book of mine and I really want to keep it that way … lol.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews? 
All the time.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books? 
I keep telling myself not to, but I end up reading them anyway … lol.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had? 
I would have to say it was a 2 star for Forever Fae that I really took to heart.  It was the best bad review I had gotten, but it helped me out a great deal.  Some of the things the reviewer discussed I ended up utilizing what she recommended and changed some of my writing in the process.  She was very informative and not cruel at all in her words. I respect what she said and I took it to good use.  I would thank her if I could.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books? 
Oh, definitely not. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and I know not everyone is going to like my books. I may not like what someone says about my books, but I would never approach someone and ask for them to change a review. I believe that would be a big ‘no no.’

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books? 
The titles I try to base on the contents of the book. Love’s Second Chance is about second chances and of course ‘love’ so it kind of fit together.  My cover designer is the amazing Regina Wamba with Mae I design and Photography.  She basically comes up with the covers herself.  I give her the synopsis and a run through of what I envision my characters to look like and she comes up with the rest. The magic is all her. 
Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title? I usually pick the titles first. Before I get into my writing, I normally have the title picked out and the whole plot laid out in my mind.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books? 
For my contemporary romance I used names of the people that are close to me.  I thought they would get a kick out of having their names in a book … lol.  For my fae series, I looked up faerie names and went from there.  Some of the names in my books are not actual faerie names, but I thought they sounded good.

Are character names and place names decided after there creation? or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
I usually come up with their names after their creation.  Once I get an idea of what kind of place or what kind of person I’m writing about, I just go with the flow after that and come up with the names.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along? 
I decide them beforehand. I get an idea of what type of characters I want and then I write them to fit their traits. 

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story? 
I don’t outline at all, but I do like to sit and plan it all out in my head before I begin writing. I do let my writing flow and sometimes my ideas change, but mostly I have it all mapped out in my head before I begin.

How do you market/promote your books? 
I try to hold giveaways as much as I can, and I’ve also paid to have a couple of ads done here and there to promote my books.  It takes money to do that, so I haven’t been able to market as much as I want, but hopefully, one day it’ll get easier. I do have some amazing friends that help spread the word of my books as well.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller? 
A good story line.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"? 
I’ve been lucky enough to not have fallen victim to it yet. I did take off two months from writing just to relax and take it easy.  When I start writing I can never stop until the book is completed.  I think I burned myself out there for a bit so I decided to take the time away and focus on the family.  Other than that, I still have the ideas flowing.

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby? 
To unwind, I like to drink a glass of wine and read a book. Other than writing, there isn’t much I do besides that other than take care of my lovely girls.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Yes, of course. Not so much in my fae series, but in Love’s Second Chance there is a lot of similarities.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..") 
I guess I do have some morals to my stories. Mainly, I would have to say to trust your loved ones and to follow your heart. Always stay strong, and if you do then there’s nothing you won’t be able to accomplish.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing? 
I had contemplated writing for a very long time, but I would have to say my final push came from Lucy Swing.  She’s an amazing author and by talking to her she gave me the courage and the push to try.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback? 
Paperback, of course. 

What is your favourite book and Why? Have you read it more than once? 
I don’t think I can say just one favorite, but the series I have read the most and multiple times would have to be the Grey Wolves series by Quinn Loftis. I’ve read each of those books probably 3 times each.  I love them that much.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer? 
I love watching movies that came from books. My favorite books to movies would have to be the Harry Potter series. I love the books and I love the movies.  My daughter loves them too, so it’s great to be able to talk to her about them.  I don’t really think I have a worst one yet, but of course, the books are always better than the movies.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback) 
I am currently reading Twice Tempted by Jeaniene Frost.  Her books are amazing and when this one came out I had to get it.  It happens to be a paperback. When the ebook prices are the same as the paperback I will always choose to have the real thing.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books? 
No, I don’t think they will ever fully replace books.  They’re cheaper, but there’s just something about a book in your hands that’s more satisfying.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing? 
I think they are encouraged to read in schools.  My oldest daughter loves to read, and with the AR program at her school she gets rewards for reading books.  Yes, it’s kind of a bribe with the rewards, but it gets the kids focused on trying hard to get the points for the program.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life? 
I didn’t start enjoying reading until I was in college. Once I started on a murder mystery over my spring break one year I was hooked. Ever since then I could never go a day without reading. I wrote a lot of poetry when I was in school, but I never imagined I would be an author one day.  Being serious about being a writer is something fairly new to me.

Did you have a favourite author as a child? 
I can’t think of one.

Do you have a treasured book from your childhood? If yes, what is it? 
Not really. When I was younger I didn’t really like to read.  I always enjoyed the writing, but reading was not something I was into.  I really loved Green Eggs and Ham though when I was younger.

Do you have a favourite genre of book? 
My favourite genre will probably always be paranormal romance!! I’m a sucker for the vampires, werewolves, angels, and any other shifter types.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish? 
Actually there isn’t a book that comes to mind of one that I’ll never read.  I’m pretty enthusiastic when it comes to books, and I usually make sure to give any book a chance.

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them? 
Well, there is one that happens to be a very good friend of mine. She’s not exactly a new author, per se, but she hasn’t been promoted as much so I know a lot of people haven’t heard of her.  Her name is Jenna Pizzi and she’s amazing.  She’s written three published works called Destined, Long Road Home, and Sweet Serendipity. Her talents need to be known.
(I'll check her out!)

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be? 
I actually just went back through Forever Fae and did a whole new change with it. I can’t wait for people to get the updates.  I took out a lot of the inner monologues and added in more character interaction. I also made the dark sorcerer more dark and evil, and also took out a bunch of the repetitive parts.

What do you think about book trailers? 
I love book trailers! If I knew how to make them I would do them myself.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer? 
I’m sure this is said from everyone, but I would say to never give up.  There have been plenty of times where things just got too hard and I wanted to give up, but I refuse to do it.  Just keep pushing on and believe in yourself.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name? 
I use my real name, except I use the initials of my first and middle name.  The only time I will ever use a pen name is if I ever decided to write erotica.  Other than that I don’t see a reason to change my name.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with? 



Jeaniene Frost would be the first one. I would love to chat her up and maybe get a glimpse into Bones’ and Vlad’s mind.  Maybe she could subdue Cat for a while so I could steal Bones away. 





Next, I would have to say Quinn Loftis. She was the first indie author I ever read and I have fallen in love with her books ever since.  I love her wolves. 




Lastly, I would have to say J.R. Ward.  Maybe she could bring along the men of her Black Dagger Brotherhood.  I would seriously go insane talking about all of those delicious vampires.








REST OF THE TOUR DATE DETAILS


~Monday APRIL 15, 2013- “Fab, Fun, and Tantalizing Reads” 
~Tuesday APRIL 16, 2013- “My Family’s Heart Book Reviews” 
~Wednesday APRIL 17, 2013- “Cu’s e-Book Give Aways”  
~Thursday APRIL 18, 2013- “Book Dream Land” 
~Friday APRIL 19, 2013- “Cat’s Reviews and More”  
~Saturday APRIL 20, 2013- “As You Wish” 
~Sunday APRIL 21, 2013- “Sassy Cassie’s Reviews”
~Monday APRIL 22, 2013- “Sparring Stepsisters” 
~Tuesday APRIL 23, 2013- “Book Crazy” 
~Wednesday APRIL 24, 2013- “Indie Supporter” 
~Thursday APRIL 25, 2013- “Coffee and Characters” 
~Friday APRIL 26, 2013- “Totally Bookalicious” 
~Saturday APRIL 27, 2013- “Books Brownies and Barkers” 
~Sunday APRIL 28, 2013- “Our New Generation for Reading” 
~Monday APRIL 29, 2013- “Sweet Treat Reading Review” 
~Tuesday APRIL 30, 2013- “Reviewing Shelf”
~Wednesday MAY 1, 2013- “Book Addicts Not-So Anonymous” 
~Thursday MAY 2, 2013- “Jeanz Book Read N Review” 
~Friday MAY 3, 2013- “R&M Fab Book Reviews”  
~Saturday MAY 4, 2013- “Izzy’s Book Blog”
~Sunday MAY 5, 2013- “Bookend 2 Bookend”
~Monday MAY 6, 2013- “YATR”
~Tuesday MAY 7, 2013- “Ever and Ever Sight”
~Wednesday MAY 8, 2013- “Mira’s Great Books”
~Thursday MAY 9, 2013- “Sassy Book Lovers”
~Friday MAY 10, 2013- “Les lectures de Sissi”
~Saturday MAY 11, 2013- “Bawaka’s Book Fair”
~Sunday MAY 12, 2013- “Book Nerds Across America” 
~Monday MAY 13, 2013- “Nikki’s Book Blog” 
~Tuesday MAY 14, 2013- “Intoxicated By Books” 
~Wednesday May 15, 2013- “Paranormal Book Club”


No comments:

Post a Comment