Sunday 19 May 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - K.L. KERR


What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?

In "The Genesis", a fledgling vampire accidently inherits the powers of a god.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I've currently planned a total of five books for this first series. Books one, three and five are based around the main events in book one; books two and four are origin stories to secondary characters, which kind of "open up" the series universe outside the main narrative. Now the first one has been released, I intend to have a new one out each year. Currently, I am on-track!

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I am currently writing "The Vampire's Son", which is the second book in my series. It is a prequel of sorts, based on a secondary protagonist of the first book.

What genre would you place your books into?
When I first started writing it, I originally classed the series as "Dark Fantasy", but since that subgenre has become so much richer in recent years, it seems too broad a term these days. Now I class it as "Urban Fantasy".

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
My personal favourite is in "The Genesis" is Aisen. While he's introduced as this regal, fear-inducing creature, and maintains an arrogant air for the sake of appearances, really he's nothing more than a frustrated prisoner in a cell of his own making. I enjoyed writing him the most.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
I would never ask someone to change their opinion. Just because I like my book doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that everyone will. Genuine criticism will only provide room for improvement in future, and if it's just vindictive or trolling…well, haters gonna hate!

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I have to plan. The entire Blood of Ages series is already outlined, even though most of it hasn't been written yet. Changes will inevitably happen; a story can often mutate beyond intent while it's being written. That's just the way of things. But I simply couldn't write without at least a basic idea where a book/chapter/scene was going and why.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
That would have to be BloodAngel by Justine Musk. I bought it back in 2005 based solely on the cover (just as a sidenote, the artwork of Christian McGrath is absolutely stunning, and I have made several book purchases because of his covers--not all to a positive result, but that's another, far less praising story). It was the first book where I really loved the writing style, as opposed to just see the writing as a tool used to tell the story. I often carry it around in my handbag alongside my Kindle, and I revisit the odd chapter from time to time, but I don't actually recall reading the whole thing a second time. Maybe I should!

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
I think they can, provided they're well taken care of, and the makers understand what the author was trying to say. The truer the makers keep the production to the original material, generally that's where you get the better product. Take, for example, the two Anne Rice films that've been adapted to film. While Interview with the Vampire stayed true to Rice's vision, Queen of the Damned deviated so much that it was barely recognisable, and was worse off for it. I would actually say they are my favourite and least favourite book adaptations respectively!

What do you think about book trailers?
I'm sure they take a lot of time and resources to make, and I can appreciate the effort that goes into them, but I can honestly say I've never purchased a book based on seeing its trailer. Then again, maybe I've been watching the wrong trailers, so it's difficult to say!

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Don't expect your writing to be perfect first time around. Writing is more about revision than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment