Thursday 11 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW JON SKOVRON



Jon Skovron wrote Misfit see the review of it at http://jeanzbookreadnreview.blogspot.com/2011/08/misfit-by-jon-skovron.html  Jon also wrote Struts and Frets as well as having stories in the following listed anthologies, A Visitors Guide to Mystic Falls and The First Time. .


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

My name Jon Skovron, i was born in Columbus, Ohio, USA. Now I live just outside Washington, DC.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?

My new book is called Misfit, and it's about a demon girl in Catholic school.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?

I have plans for many books ;) Whether or not this particular book will be the beginning of a series or not, I can't really say for sure right now. I should hopefully know more soon.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

Like most authors, I've been writing for a long time. Making up little stories as a kid, journaling compulsively as a student, and penning volumes of bad poetry and song lyrics. I began to write seriously with the intention to publish in 1999. I was an actor then, fresh out of conservatory and feeling very disillusioned with the actual business of acting. I was in a wretched production of Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, sitting back stage reading World According to Garp by John Irving, and I thought (with the supreme arrogance that only a 22 year old can muster), "Hey, I could do this!" I wrote a lot of bad short stories after that, learning slowly, painfully how to write. It took me a long time to find my place. But when I picked up Holly Black's Valiant and Gabrielle Zevin's Elsewhere and knew I had found it.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?

My editor actually came up with the title for my first novel, Struts & Frets (I think it's brilliant, by the way, since it ties in both the themes of music and Shakespeare's Macbeth that run through the book). Misfit was my idea, but when I thought of it, it was just the placeholder, the working title. I never thought it could be the real title, since it's so simple. But then, after several agonizing weeks of going back and forth with my editor on title ideas, nothing else seemed quite as perfect.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?

There are many, but probably the ones who had the biggest impact on me where the ones I loved as a teen. The science fiction of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams, the fantasy of The Belgariad series by David Eddings, and the paranormal of The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. I read every book in those series probably at least three or four times each.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?

When I was in school, I preferred paperback, probably because I was a broke student and it was what I could afford. Although I thing portability was also a part of it. Then for a long time I was in to hardbacks. And I still love them, love the feel of them, love having them up on my shelf to look at. But the problem is that I read a lot and I have very small house that I share with my two sons who are getting bigger all the time and frankly, I'm having a bit of a space issue. And now that I have an e-book reader, I'm finding its convenience and space-saving features very appealing.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst  book to movie transfer?

I think they can transfer well if done right. The mistake a lot of filmmakers make is in adhering too close to the plot and losing the spirit of the story. I'd much rather it feel like the story than look like the story. Of course, that's one of those things that easier said than done. A good example of this can been seen in the Harry Potter movies. The first few were competently done, but adhered so strictly to the plot that they felt a bit lifeless. As the series continued, however, they got a bit looser with the plot but more connected to what the story was really about.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)

Currently reading Just Kids by Patti Smith in paperback. It makes me nostalgic for when I was a twenty-something bohemian living in New York City.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?

To become a writer, you have to read a lot and write a lot. Ultimately, that's all there is to it. The longer you keep at it, the better you'll get, the more likely you'll succeed. There's no magic to it, and talent is not nearly as useful as determination.

That of course is much easier said than done. You have to give up a lot to achieve that level of determination. Things like free time, a better paying job, hobbies. Just make sure you don't give up the thinks that truly make you happy.

Where can readers follow you?

My blog is jonskovron.com
My Twitter handle is @jonnyskov

No comments:

Post a Comment