Sunday 22 December 2013

PROMOTION - MEMORY PLOT BY D.W. CARVER




BLURB from Goodreads

Two years after the car crash that killed her family, mental health counsellor Jill Garvin’s memories of the events surrounding the tragedy are beginning to resurface. And with them, a painful and ugly secret that will shatter the way Jill views her late husband. The threat of reality may be more than Jill’s fragile mind can handle. But handle it she must, because a much darker force is at work: a man who would do anything to keep her past a secret, including destroy the new family Jill has found for herself.






THE INTERVIEW


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My Name is D.W. Carver, I was born in East London, England and now live about ten miles from the hospital I was born in.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Always wanted to be a writer.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
When I started getting paid for it. It was part of my salaried job.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
It never did get published. I’m still hoping.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
‘Quest’. The story of a young man burying his gried in a search for his uncle’s killer.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I publish with Musa, FrontPorch and Damnation

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
It varies hugely – years to a few months.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
‘Desperation’ came easily.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I write mostly cross genre Mystery/thrillers. It will probably be more of the same.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
‘Desperation’ was always open to a sequel and I’m working on that.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
Whatever I start to write usually turns out Mystery/thriller

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
At the moment ‘Desperation’. I like the characters a lot.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Sarah from my ‘Jill Garvin’ series is probably my favourite. She ages from sixteen to twenty-four over the series. She is probably the daughter I never had.

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
Creel from the Jill Garvin series – handsome, rich, dangerous….should I go on?
How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
Since I first learned how. I used to tell myself stores to get to sleep. Once I learnt to write I put them on paper.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?
Life – any situation can be turned into a novel if your mind works that way.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I sit in the garden and think about the story in the broadest sense then sit at the computer and type.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
My publishers are all very committed editors.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
Not unless it was vindictive or clearly wrong. I have worked as a mental health community counsellor in London and sometimes overlook the fact that my everyday experiences can shock people unfamiliar with that kind of work.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your bookbooks?Who designed the Cover of your books?
The titles usually come to me as I’m writing. My publishers generate the covers and I say what I like until we come to an agreement.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
Some are real place names. The characters names often change. I might change three or four just so I don’t ‘fall into’ the book and miss obvious problems – something that can happen when you immerse yourself in this sort of work.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
My characters are usually on a journey of change but I start with a general idea based on their back-story.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
Mostly I flow.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
Chance, publicity.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
I sometimes have a real person in mind when I develop a character but they always change as the story develops.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
Crap happens.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
Kurt Vonnegut

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
Not in my lifetime.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
It’s been a long time since my children were at school. However a public library I have used for a very long time recently had a makeover and now has a lot less books and sports a café to fit into this modern world….go figure.

Did you have a favourite author as a child?
Enid Blyton….not someone much liked these days.
I too loved Enid Blyton and read lots of her books when I was younger, as did my daughter when she was young I think there's much more choice for childrens books these days and at a teen level Enid Blyton is sadly not relevant to our children anymore.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
Most of the books I pick up at the library go back unfinished, especially the ones that sport the writer’s name above the title.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
Publishing is quite faddy and as they say one doesn’t tend to ‘finish’ a story, one ‘abandons’ it.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Be ready for a lot of rejections.

Where can readers follow you?

Your Website?  http://www.dwcarver.com


PURCHASE LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment