Monday 22 May 2023

REVIEW - KILLER WOLF - SEVYN ROSE SERIES BY KARINA ESPINOSA

 

Title: Killer Wolf
Series:
Sevyn Rose
Author:
Karina Espinosa
Release Date:
5th May 2023

BLURB from Goodreads
I’m known as the Grim Reaper of Chicago.
But to those closest to me, my name is Sevyn Rose.
As an assassin for the mafia, I’ve amassed a lot of enemies over the years. I’ve been on my own for eight years with one goal in mind—find my missing mother. She left me with simple instructions: leave the pack and contact the mafia. So I did just that.
Everything is going fine until I’m handed the name of my next target. Christian Ellis is the son of the pack leader and my most hated frenemy. Going after him could change the course of my life completely. And worse, it would get me involved with the pack again.
To top things off, a vampire shows up at my door with information on my missing mother—but that information comes at a price. If I want the truth, I have to help him take down the city’s vampire clan leader. Not only putting my life on the line, but that of the local pack.
Trouble is brewing in the city of Chicago. And I’m right at the center of it. 

Goodreads Link

REVIEW
I think the cover for the book is perfect, theres the 'face/image' there of Sevyn taking total centre stage on the cover and possibly Christian in his wolf form. It definitely compliments the book well and it would make me want to learn more about the book, so I'd say it does its job really well.

So basically supernaturals live & work within plain sight of humans. Sevyn is an werewolf/outcast/assassin. Her mother disappeared 8 yrs ago and that was the last time she had anything to do with the pack/her pack. Some say Imogen Rose - packs top mercenary was dead, others say she is on the run from the pack. Some would whisper Imogen was always on the job so not a good mum to Sevyn. Imogen taught Sevyn skills no other parent would ...survival skills! Whether pack or human, Sevyn is always available to take someone down.

Although they didn't have a close emotional connection Sevyn doesn't understand why her mum would just leave her, she can't help think perhaps she is dead.

Sevyn has a heck of a lot going on! She definitely compartmentalised her life. She considers herself ex-Chicago Pack, though can she ever be truly 'free of the pack' Though they keep an eye on her they do not fully know what she does for a living and they certainly don't know she is Chicago's Grim Reaper! Sevyn has living independently working as an assassin for hire for a long time. Keeping her different worlds apart. When her mother disappeared she left her a message to leave the pack along with contact details for Nicholas. Nicholas is She has become sucked into carrying out hits for the human mafia too which is fine, though they don't know she is a shifter. Sevyn has never had an issue with 'taking out' anyone until she is asked to kill Christian Ellis, the son & next in line to the Alpha of the Chicago pack. What complicates things further is Sevyn & Christian have a whole lot of history! Sevyn & Chririan were promised to each other by their parents when they were first born. They grew up continually trying to one up the other, in constant competition. To complicate things further when Sevyn was eighteen a bond between her & Christian locked into place, they are fated mates! Neither of them like being told what they should or shouldn't do whether it's their parents or their heritage or shifter blood telling them.
Sevyn has to think quickly to come up with a reason to turn down the hit on Christian. She chooses the fact he is a Police Officer to refuse the job, but that doesn't mean someone else won't take the job. So now Sevyn finds herself being unwillingly drawn back into the pack. Whilst all this is going on Sevyn is approached with an offer she cannot refuse. Information about her mother in exchange for taking down Adrian Pierce the leader of the Vampire Clan.
Sevyn finds herself having to live back within the confines of Mayor Manor, Chicago Pack land and has to once again deal with pack politics, hierarchy and gossip, as well as coping with romantic feelings being in such close proximity to Christian.
Theres also the rather large matter of a new shifter in town, Dominic, who has challenged Gerard for Alpha position of the Chicago Pack. Dominic is an unknown newcomer who will have to fight and beat both Gerard & Christian to become the new leader of the Chicago Pack. In a fair, shifter to shifter fight it doesn't seem likely he could win but with the 'hit' being out on Christian will he be in a fit state or alive to take part in a challenge fight?
Sevyn finds herself in the middle of constant chaos, attempting to play all sides and races whilst not really trusting anyone.

I loved the writing style, it's the same engaging, enthralling, witty humorous unputdownable style I have come to know & love from this author. Once again, she has created a fantastic, fiercely independent kick butt female lead character.

I really enjoyed all the different 'races' involved in the book, the humans, human mafia, vampires, shifters etc. and how they interacted.

I appreciated the flashbacks within the book, the way they give the reader to be a 'fly on the wall' and learn about these important interactions almost 'first hand' for ourselves. Theres the flashbacks to 'younger Sevyn' first the interactions with her mum instilling the need to be disciplined and have perfect battle strategy. Her refusal to even talk about Sevyns father other than to say he is dead.
Then theres the flashback to when Sevyn and Christian realise they are fated mates. Its clear they are strongly attracted to each othe but wow, they are both stubborn and initially choose to fight the bond, dismissing any sort of romantic relationship as just being down to the 'pull of the bond'

The characters I loved....of course Sevyn, I thought her Sevyn-isms were brilliant, such as referring to vampire as 'caspar the unfriendly ghost', the attitude that her assassinating people is 'all about the Benjamin's' and 'Leave no witnesses'.
I also loved Christian, Nadia and Imogen (despite not actually officially meeting Imogen in the present day in the book yet)I'm hoping theres going to be more of and I am looking forward to learning more about Frankie, Parker and Orpheus. I enjoyed disliking Dominic and I have Nicholas and Willa in the 'grey area' where I haven't decided about them yet!

To say I enjoyed or I adored this book is an understatement, I truly did not want to put it down. In fact I hated having to put it down to 'do' anything else. I feel like I could go on and on about this book for hours! I honestly cannot wait to read more of this series. I feel like there is so much more to come from this series. There's so many plot lines to explore, such as Sevyn's mum Imogen, then the Sevyn and Christian 'romance', the mafia angle, the vampire clan, maybe more to come about Sevyn's dad and more from the witches coven. I just can't wait to read it all!!

Summing up, Wow, oh wow! I love, love, loved it! Great world building, supernaturals living but yet hidden in plain sight of humans. Fantastic characters, in luuurve with the whole love-hate-love, arranged marriage at birth & fated mate bond at 18.
That ending! Cliff hanger!
I seriously cannot wait read more!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment