Friday 15 April 2022

REVIEW - LEGACY - JOEY SANTANA BY KARINA ESPINOSA

  

Title: Legacy
Series: Joey Santana
Author: Karina Espinosa

Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Shapeshifters, Vampires,
               Humans, Seelie

Release Date: 31st March 2022

BLURB from Goodreads
Humans vs Supes. The war has finally begun.

With our faction leaders taken by the humans, we are left to fend for ourselves in a locked down supernatural district with limited supplies. Great. How long can we survive without the outside world?

In my desperate attempt to rescue my friends, I make a deal with both Magdalena and the seelie. Unfortunately, that plan backfires and the consequences are dire. Leaving me in a predicament in which I can’t solve on my own.

With my family curse looming over my head, and the need to help the supes, I desperately try to fix everything. But when it all comes crashing down, will I be able to survive?
 

Goodreads Link

PURCHASE LINKS
Amazon US
Amazon UK

REVIEW
Another great book cover, depicting the kick butt heroine of the book Joey Santana. After reading Sinner I was really looking forward to finding out what was going to happen next. How much more can Joey take, will she admit her growing feelings for Reed but most importantly, can she fix the curse before her birthday?

Of course, Joey, along with the others of the supernatural races are worried and wanting their leaders back from Humans United and the government. The problem is that the witches cannot source where the supernatural leaders are being held. Somehow the government and Humans United are somehow blocking their location spell magic. To do so means they must have coerced and probably tortured a seelie they have illegally imprisoned for killing a human to provide some sort of cloaking. To stop the cloaking, Joey and the other supernatural races must rescue the imprisoned seelie. Then if and when the location of the leaders is revealed they need to rescue them. As it’s a seelie being rescued and their magic cloaking the location of the leaders Joey and witch Clover go to them for help. However, nothing is straight forward when dealing with the seelie’s as Joey & Clover soon find.

Whilst all this is going on there is still the matter of Maggie to be dealt with. Maggie has not got sick of impersonating Joey and has died her hair dark to be more “herself.” Reed manages to make his own deal with the seelie, but again the problem with dealing with the seelie are that there always seems to be a hidden element, or it never works out as wanted by the one doing the deal.

I really can’t and won’t say any more about the book as I do not want to spoil the unfolding plot and its order and secrets for anyone else reading it. This book certainly picks up right where the other book left off and gets straight back into the action. When posed with difficult choices, no matter how much and who she has promised to think of herself first, Joey is still a kick butt, non-nonsense young woman who would lay her life down for anyone and everyone she loves and cares about.

Obviously, Joey and Reed are still my favourite characters, and the author had me wanting to scream at the book “Oh no” on more than one occasion with what she did and probably has in store for the two amazing characters.

I was a little surprised to find myself feeling irritated by Lilian, Elliotts mate/wife. I really wanted her to be more involved in the plans to find the kidnapped leaders which include her husband. I felt like reaching into the book and shaking her when she was just taking herself to her room and wasting away in her husband/mate’s absence. A pack member, character I was pleasantly shocked by was Levi, showing a perhaps softer side, and being big enough to apologise to Joey for how he spoke to her when he first met her.

The Vampires as ever adapt and are up for anything thrown at them but I adored the vibe between Atticus and pack member Emilio. There were some really funny flirty scenes.
The seelie really live up to their reputation of being tricksters and only caring about their own. It felt like Joey and the other races were more interested and eager to rescue Eugenie.
Humans United, it’s leader Darius Blackburn and the Government led by Marissa Beauchamp and her new evil henchman, General Grant definitely delivered on the nastiness toward the supernatural race. Torturing to try to get the different supernatural races to reveal their secrets. Then pitting the supernatural beings against each other for human sport.
The jury still seems to be out as to whose side General Grant is on, he seems to be playing both sides with his very own agenda.

I’ve worked trough my likes and dislikes of the different “beings” but where should Magdalena fit? Or Maggie as she refers to herself in this book. It’s weird but I did find myself really warming to her and wondering if under different circumstances Maggie & Joey could have been quite good friends.

My immediate thoughts upon finishing the book were, wow another action filled book in an amazing series.

Summing up, I am loving the series so far, I felt like I flew through reading Legacy and am now looking forward to the next book, I really don’t want the series to end! I adore learning the different quirks, customs and traditions of the different races. 


 

 

1 comment:


  1. Waiting for bloggers to read my book and post a review is tiring. I used usbookreviews.com to gather reviews for my book and I am happy with the increase in reviews, sales and visibility.

    ReplyDelete