Saturday 18 February 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - DAVID ADAMS


Available at Amazon.co.uk 

1. What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

My name is David Adams. I was born in Sydney, Australia, and I live in Darwin, Australia these days.

2. Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I think I first wanted to be an Astronaut. And then I wanted to be a fighter pilot. Then I went to uni and became a software engineer. Then I decided I wanted to write a book and had a blast. Now I'm a writer, I guess, but I have a day job.

3. When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I believe that nothing counts until it's finished, so only when Lacuna: Demons of the Void was published.

4. Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
Yes. Because I work a day job, it took me about eight months to write, which was a little disappointing. I hope my next book will be faster.

5. Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I do. I work in programming and data warehousing.

6. What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
The book's name is Lacuna: Demons of the Void, and if I had to summarise it in less than 20 words I'd say:

"Battlestar Galactica, crewed by Chinese people and with the bad guys from Wing Commander."

7. Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I self publish. :)

8. How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
Usually I get my ideas well, well in advance of the actual writing. I'd estimate I could get a decent book out in three months if that was my full-time job, but alas it's just part-time for me.

9. Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
Well, I gotta say that science fiction is hard to write. With fantasy you can just say, "a wizard did it". I'd say Demons of the Void was the longest written piece I've ever written.

10. What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
A direct sequel or two, and more books in various genres. I want to experiment, since I think that sharpens my writing skills. 

11. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Absolutely! This book's ending is begging for a sequel. Expect one. ;)

12. What genre would you place your books into?
Whatever genre is appropriate. Lacuna: Demons of the Void is a science fiction book, but I'm also working on a young-adult paranormal fantasy about the Greek gods, and of course Demons of the Void's sequel which is also SF.

13. What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I love science, I love fiction. It seemed like a really great marriage that would have cute babies.

14. Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
I'd say that Lacuna is my pride and joy. You never forget your first book.

15. Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Honestly, I like Summer Rowe, the geeky engineer. She's not a hero like the others; she has no military training and she's fairly helpless when it comes to battles. I think that someone who isn't heroic but does heroic things is something to be admired.

16. If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
I'd probably be James. He seems cool and funny, and he's very brave, level-headed but also funny at times.

17. How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I've been writing in various RPGs and text-based games for something like 13, 14 years now. I couldn't live without them.

18. Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
Honestly it's usually something really really small, line a single line in a song or a strange daydream or something. I usually take a tiny idea and string it out to be something much more.

19. Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I write whenever I can write, be that on a bus, in my bed with the laptop or at my computer desk. I do like to listen to music though, and I try to make what I'm listening to fit what I'm writing. Action music for action scenes, romantic music for romance, etc.

20. Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
I have an extremely overworked and tireless proofreader named Shane Michael Murray, who is both awesome and sweet. He checks all my stuff and laughs at my mistakes, causing me to fix them. I couldn't have done it without him and he's credited in the dedication.

21. Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
I do, yes, and I'm more than happy to trade free copies for honest reviews. ;)

22. Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
If I know about them I most definitely read them, and if I can I leave a comment. I love getting feedback and if you see an issue in the book such as a typo, I'm very glad to fix them!

23. What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
The best review was a guy from Slashdot who read Lacuna. He used his real name, he bought the book, and he gave me four stars. The criticism he had was mostly issues with the ebook conversion which have since been fixed.

24. Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
Absolutely not. I stand by my work and I expect reviewers to stand by theirs. I'm prepared to give feedback to the reviewer, or leave comments on the review if such were possible, but I would not consider asking a reviewer to change their review because my precious snowfake feelings were hurt. 

25. How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
I design my own covers. I am a very visual person so I usually do the covers before I actually start writing the synopsis. I try to show what I see in my mind to the best of my ability.

My covers tend to go through many, many revisions before I'm happy with them and Lacuna was no exception.

26. Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
Title first, cover art next, then book. In a way, I try to create the book as one would read it.

27. How do you market/promote your books?
I ask for reviews and do interviews, I give away free copies, and I write fantastic books. There's no strategy or silver bullet to making a popular book, and for every great work there's fifty equally great ones that nobody's read. Harry Potter, for example, received numerous rejections before making J. K. Rowling the richest woman in the world.

The best thing you can do is write the best books you can write, as fast and frequently as you can. I plan to do exactly that.

28. What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
Taking advantage of lucky breaks when the come.

That means you have to write a fantastic book first, and do your best to make it the best experience for your readers. Give away free copies, always treat your reviewers with respect and kindness, and do good things.

29. Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
Take a break and play some Starcraft II, then get beaten and come back. By then I'm usually happy to be writing instead of watching my poor little Zerglings burn to death.

30. What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
I usually play PC games, or watch some TV. What exactly I watch varies based on mood, but it's usually something a little strange.

31. Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
A writer does not write in isolation... they are the sum of their experiences. Everyone I've ever known, friends and enemies, add a piece of themselves to my stories. 

32. Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
I try to subtly comment on the Human condition, but I try to leave preaching for the preachers and just try to write the most entertaining novels I can.

33. Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
I'd have to list W.E. Johns, the author of Biggles, and R.A. Salvatore, the creator of Drizzt, as definite inspirations. As is Ronald D. Moore.

34. Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
A year ago I would have said hardback or paperback all the way, but these days it's 100% ebooks for me.

35. What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
I'd probably have to say Streams of Silver by R.A. Salvatore, just because it's such an epic piece of fiction. I've read it dozens of times and can't put it down when I start.

36. Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
They can do, and sometimes they improve on the original! My favourite book to movie transfer is Twilight, because I can't read the books at all but I can enjoy the movies as a guilty pleasure.

37. What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
Actually, I'm between books at the moment so... suggest something!

38. Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
I think they're poised to become the more dominant one, yes. Completely replace? That's a tricky one. Probably not for a long, long time.

39. Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
Actually I think they are to read, but more is always better. Encouraged to write... not so much. More writing classes, please!

40. Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
I've been a reader all my life and I'm rarely not reading anything (like now!). Reading is a passion and it's writing, in the sense of creating whole books, that's new.

41. Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
I tried to start Twilight so many times but I just can't. I've resigned myself to just enjoying the movies.

42. Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
I'd keep an eye on Amanda Hocking. She's a superstar and she's only going to get bigger and better.

43. Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
Eh, probably not. I'm happy with the way they turned out. I'd probably stretch out the ending a bit, but I like how tight and swift it is. So, no.

44. What do you think about book trailers?
Sample chapters are better and (imho) preferred.

45. What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Never, never, never give up. 

46. Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I don't, but I might if I was writing something like erotica where I didn't want my parents to know.

47. Where can readers follow you?

I have a website at www.lacunaverse.com where I post all kinds of stuff, but these days I'm also very active on the kindle forums (http://www.kindleboards.com/)

48. Your blog details?

Don't have one. Tried it but it wasn't for me.

49. Your web site ?


50. Your facebook page?


51. Your Goodreads author page?

Don't have one!

52. Your Twitter details?

I don't use Twitter. :)

53. And any other information you wish to supply?
Not really -- thank you for the interview, it was very kind of you! :D

Cheers,

Dave.


Thankyou for taking the time to take part and answer so many of my Interview Questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment