- What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? My name is Shelly Crane. I was born in Conway, Arkansas but have lived in many places and states over the years. FL, GA, SC, IL, and now currenrly reside in Ny.
- What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say? My newest book was just released yesterday, Accordance. It's the sequel to Significance. My short explanation would that Maggie and Caleb's story continues as they discover some disturbing things about Maggie's ability and their rival clan. They face many new obstacles together and Maggie must ultimately make descisions that affect everyone. Maybe even save or risk their lives.
- Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? Oooooooh yes. :) I have many books coming up. 3 new releases coming up just in the next 8 months alone. I'm a pretty busy gal. They will all be either sequels or first book in a series.
- How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write? I've only been writing for about 2 and 1\2 years. I started writing when I got bored with the books I' d been reading. I never, ever thought about being published. It was a total spur of the moment 'why not' kind of thing. I can't say anyone really inspired me to write because it was just a whim one day to do so. I was inspired to get published by the many self published and indie books I had read at the time.
- Do you gift books to readers to do reviews? I do! I love to trade copies of books for reviews. It's a win\win and book bloggers and reviewers are the greatest!! I even wrote a blog about them called "Book Bloggers Are The Cheese To My Cracker." :)
- How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books? I just feel it out. I usually write some of the book first and if a word or thought jumps out at me, it becomes the title. As for the covers, I make all my own from scratch :)
- Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you? Absolutely!! I try not to use people, it doesn't always work, but I definitely use past experiences. One comes to mind. In a scene in Accordance where Maggie is watching Caleb on stage and a girl comes up and asks Maggie which one is hers and then curses and walks off. That happened to me. I was watching my husband play a show and that exact thing happened. It was comical.
- Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing? I'm not really hung up on one particular author. I enjoy so many genres and ideas of books that I rarely just cling to one. But I do love M. Leighton, S.L. Naeole, Amanda Hocking and Richelle Mead.
- Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback? Who doesn't love a good paperback? I''m not a fan of hardback, in fact, I try to avoid them because they're awkward to read to me. But, my kindle has become my best friend lately.
- What is your favourite book and Why? Have you read it more than once? Wow. What an utterly devastingly hard question. :) I don't think I could pick one. If I had to....I could pick a series. The Vampire Academy series. And yes, I've read them all about 5 times each :)
- Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer? I love to watch book to movies but I get upset when they leave alot of important stuff out. I think Twilight - New Moon was the worst.They left so much crucial stuff out in my opinon.
- What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback) I am currently reading The Understorey by Fisher Amelie on my kindle and I'm loving it!! Awesome love story.
- Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish? I won't ever read a biography, no matter who's it is. I am not into them at all.
- Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them? Well, definately Fisher Amelie then Jamie Magee then H.M. Ward.They are all strong writers with a great grasp on love. That is my main focus when I read a story and they do a good job of balancing it all.
- Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be? Hmmmm. I can't think of anything I would change in the books, but I would definately do more research and start promoting earlier. Get the books edited earlier, that sort of thing.
- What do you think about book trailers? Love them! Wish I had some :)
- What piece of advice would you give to a new writer? Edit, edit, edit...and then edit some more because some people are a little vicious about it. Then promote, promote, promote! Give bloggers and reviewers copies of your books to reveiw. Do giveaways. Answer fan comments and stay on top of your pages and sites. If you start a facebook page then you should be respectful and grateful enough to go and answer when people ask you a question on it.
- Do you or would you ever use a pen name? I kind of wish I had actually, but too late now! :) If I could go back, I'd definately use a pen name. My personal life and my author life are very hard to keep seperate now. I think it would have been easier for me if I'd done that.
Thank you for agreeing to take part in this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your world of writing.