Wednesday 12 November 2014

PROMOTION - LIFE LESSONS FOR THE TEENAGE GIRL BY KELLY TONELLI

Title: Life Lessons For The Teenage Girl
Author: Kelly Tonelli
Publisher: Morgan James
Release Date: 11th November 2014

BLURB supplied by the author
Being a teenage girl is hard. Admit it-frequently it's downright terrible. They are constantly bombarded with suggestions about how to best live their lives from everyone they know. It becomes a challenge just to know whose suggestions to follow and whom to ignore. Their parents and teachers are "too old" to understand them, and friends can be just as confused as they are. Teens are often tempted to turn to celebrities who, unfortunately, are only asked about fashion, weight loss, and "how to get the guy." Life Lessons for the Teenage Girl : Quotes, Inspiration, and Advice for Women by Women provides valuable and entertaining advice from women who have attained success in business, politics, sports, and entertainment. Their goal in offering advice is to spare teenage girls some of the challenges and frustrations they may have experienced themselves. If the struggle can't be avoided, teens can at least gain comfort in the knowledge that they are not alone in their experience. Techniques and exercises are provided to help teenage girls survive and thrive beyond their teenage years. Is Life Lessons for the Teenage Girl for teenage girls only? Heck no! Everyone can be educated and entertained by the insights these women dispense. All can benefit from learning new strategies to manage life's difficulties. Find out who stayed serious and who couldn't help being playful and silly in their responses.  Regardless of their tone, what they have to say just might change your life.


AUTHOR INTERVIEW

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? 
My name is Kelly Tonelli.  I was born in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan and now live in Southern California.  (The weather is definitely better!)

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I never really thought of myself as a writer.  I am a psychologist who would occasionally have ideas that I thought would make a cool book.  I finally decided to try one!

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I am a psychologist in private practice which means I regularly see people for therapy appointments.  Most of what I do is helping people to deal with life transitions - especially people with anxiety and/or depression.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
My publisher is Morgan James

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
 My book is Life Lessons for the Teenage Girl: Quotes, Inspiration and Advice for Women by Women. Famous and/or successful giving advice to teen girls with psychological support with life-improving activities.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre? 
My hope is to complete Life Lessons for the Tweenage Girl in the next year with a focus on girls between the ages of 8-12 years.  My daughter was feeling left out of this book!

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it? 
The research is the most time consuming part of these books.  I research what women might be good to offer advice and then have to contact them and convince them to offer something free of charge.  Remember these are very busy women, so asking them to take on anything extra is a tough sell!  Once I have the quotes I am going to use, I break them down into topics, form chapters and begin writing.  Start to finish, this book took about 18 months.  Remember, I was working full time at the same time!

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration? 
I am inspired by the patients I see in my practice!  I kept seeing teenage girls and young women who were without direction.  They couldn't trust their parents or teachers for advice (too old), tried to turn to friends (not much more experience than they had), and looked to celebrities (who were only asked how to lose weight and "get the guy").  I wanted to find a way to get them more meaningful advice from people they might believe.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know? 
My poor husband!  He learned more than he ever wanted to about teenage girls!  (Good preparation for dealing with our own daughter).  He reviews everything I write for content - such as "Does that make sense?".  My mom also reviews everything.  Her focus is much more on grammar, spelling and proper punctuation.  (I am terrible, so this is a BIG job!)

What do you do to unwind and relax?Do you have a hobby? 
My favorite things are spending time with my family, going for a run, taking hot yoga, and curling up with a good book!

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books? 
I hope not!  I enjoy both.  If I am traveling, ebooks are the way to go because I can fit a number of books into a small space.  If I am at home, I prefer a printed book.  There is something about the smell of the pages and the heft of the books that makes the experience for me.

AUTHOR LINKS


No comments:

Post a Comment