Saturday 5 September 2020

REVIEW - THE TOMB: UNEXPECTED - THE TOMB BY ELLA BURNS



 
Title: The Tomb: Unexpected
Series: The Tomb
Author: Ella Burns
Genre: Post-Apocalyptic, Dark Dystopian, Dark Romance
Release Date: 24th July 2020 

BLURB from Goodreads
Incarcerated since he was a child, Ethan has most things he could ever need as second-in-command in the inmate run prison, The Tomb. When he is given the opportunity to spend one night with the beautiful Sammi, a prostitute who visits the prison monthly, he finds something he never knew he was missing; Her.
The Tomb: Unexpected is a prequel/short story introduction to the world of The Tomb
This can be read as a standalone or as a sequel/prequel to The Tomb: Exposed


Goodreads Link

PURCHASE LINKS
Amazon US
Amazon UK


REVIEW
As I had been in a bit of a reading rut, I was looking for something a bit different to my usual reads to get back into the reading groove. I have read books by this author but under a different name so I had an idea of her writing style and I thoroughly enjoyed her other series, I decided it was time to try something different. I initially saw The Tomb: Exposed first but then noticed this novella and thought I would read the prequel novella first to see what the world the books are set in first. This book is much darker than her other series that I have read and is aimed at an older audience. The book is listed as “a dark prison romance” so yes, its 18+ but I would say it also has aspects of the post-apocalyptic, and dystopian genre. I have to be totally honest and say if I hadn’t seen the cover of The Tomb:Exposed I may have just passed on reading this novella. I find the cover is quite suggestive, and to me hints at the book possibly being erotica, which I do not read.

The world the novella is set in has gone through something referred to as “the split” and this prison is no ordinary prison. In The Tomb, as the prison is called, there are no regular guards inside it. The inmates run the prison. In such a harsh environment it takes a strong man and a certain set way of life ascertained by the one considered the hardest, strongest fighter in the prison. Though we do meet that man in this novella it is his best friend who wouldn’t necessarily say he is second in command himself, is considered such y the other inmates. This still fairly young to be in The Tomb is called Ethan. Ethan became best friend with Axle, the man in charge, when they were both young. In fact, they were the youngest boys in the prison, so they have literally grown up together. Though the pair are close and I personally think would literally fight and die for each other they both know how far their friendship extends. What I am trying to say is Ethan knows how far he can push things with Axle and he knows if the man wants to be alone to let him be. Ethan knows not to ask too many questions, if he needs to know anything Axle will tell him when he is good and ready. Like Ethan hasn’t broached the subject of the new kid, Josh yet, even though its unusual that Axle seems to have taken him under his protection. When Ethan is summoned to see Axle on delivery day, is no surprise to him, though when he gets there something completely “Unexpected” happens. Axle has had a long-standing arrangement with the guards to get a monthly visit from a nun. Though this is no normal, religious nun, despite the fact she wears a habit, the uniform of the nun. No, this nun is called Sammi and is actually a prostitute using the nun’s habit to gain access to the prison. Sammi visits Axle every month. Though this month it seems Axle doesn’t need nor want her attentions. As Ethan walks in the door she is offered to him!!! So yep, Ethan is shocked, in fact he is stunned into silence to begin with. When Axle insists Ethan leads Sammi away by the hand and he gets to enjoy her services. As well as the sexual scene that follows with Ethan & Sammi, you get to learn much more about their characters and how/why they ended up where they are now. The Tomb used to have women in-mates, years before but now it is a male only prison. The Tomb is a brutal, tough environment for the hardened men that exist within it. It’s certainly a matter of survival of the fittest in this prison called The Tomb. I guess some would describe at a “living death”

So, as I have already said this novella/series is out of my usual genres, and reading “comfort” zone. I do not read erotica. Though perhaps I should explain my definition of erotica is explicit descriptions but without any real story line, or character development. This novella features swearing, violence and candid sexual scenes. But, and for me it is a huge but, there is also the necessary great world building, characters and plot lines. After reading this book I was still a little unsure whether I would read and enjoy a full-length book set in this era and place. I thought about it and reached the conclusion the only way to find out was to give it a go. I think this novella gave me the extra push to give the full-length novel a try.

My immediate reactions upon finishing the prequel novella were that this was not my usual go to genre but as the old saying goes a change is as good as a rest!

To sum up the prequel gives a little taster and a hint of what is to come from the following books and series. It introduces the world that the prison is set in, what life is like in the prison and a little insight into a few characters. The novella also pushed me out of that reading rut I had found myself in too!

No comments:

Post a Comment